CARRBORO — A clogged dryer exhaust tube was blamed for a fire that destroyed a family’s laundry room and spread smoke damage throughout their apartment.
Firefighters from Carrboro and Chapel Hill responded to a small apartment complex at 107 Eugene Street around 8 a.m. today after receiving a call from a neighbor who heard a smoke detector sounding inside the apartment.
The tenant had left the dryer running, and neither she nor her daughter were home at the time of the fire. Deputy Fire Chief Trey Mayo said the will have to stay elsewhere tonight until the smoke residue is cleaned up.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.