Crime

Police say they are not seeking suspects in Raleigh shooting that killed 2 men

Screen shot from Twitter.
Screen shot from Twitter.

Police say two men were found shot to death in a house in a quiet subdivision early Wednesday and that one of the men shot himself.

Police have not released details about what led to the shooting. They say John Douglas Nye, 36, was shot to death, and that Frederic Wade Wheeler, 28, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Police have not said that Wheeler shot Nye, but they say they are not looking for any suspects.

During 12-minute 911 call released by police Thursday, two women can be heard alternately screaming for help and screaming at a man who was with them.

“You shot him for no reason,” one of the women says at one point.

When the dispatcher asks where the shooter is, one of the women says, “He’s trying to help us, but he shot him.”

Nye and Wheeler were found inside of a two-story home at 7036 Spanglers Spring Way in Southeast Raleigh. Next-door neighbor Tony Woolard, a scientist who works with Pfizer Inc. in Sanford, said a woman who lived at the home ran across the street after the shootings and told residents there that she and the two men had been out on a double date.

“The two guys got to arguing,” Woolard said. “One shot the other, then turned around and shot himself.”

Police have not released the name of the woman, who apparently lived at the home with a toddler. Officers were sent to the home after someone called to report hearing gunshots, said spokeswoman Laura Hourigan.

“Findings of the initial investigation indicate the crime was not a random act,” Hourigan said. “No suspects are being sought in connection with the incident.”

The case had not been closed, however.

Jermone Randall, a musician who lives in the home where the woman ran for help, said he was not home when she arrived at his door. But his twin brother was there.

“My brother said she was hysterical,” he said.

Woolard said the woman and her husband moved in together months ago. “But he ended up leaving her,” he said. “It was just her there.”

Another neighbor, William Walker, said it was a quiet home and that he saw the woman for the first time on Tuesday, the day before the shootings.

“I never saw anyone coming or going,” he said. “I saw them taking stuff in the house one or two times. I never saw people arguing or fussing. I never saw anything. They were quiet.”

Police detectives, along with officers with the City-County Bureau of Identification, were at the home throughout the day Wednesday, searching for evidence. Their search included looking for clues inside of a gray Hyundai parked in the driveway.

“I didn’t hear any gunshots,” said Woolard who normally would have been leaving for work in Sanford around the time the shootings happened, but he was off Wednesday.

Walker woke up about an hour after the shootings. He saw blue lights flashing through his bedroom window and thought police had made a traffic stop. But when he looked out of the window he saw police cars had lined both sides of the street.

“I got back into bed,” he said. “My daughter called me at 10 minutes to 6 and asked if I was okay because she heard someone had been shot.”

The home is in the Battle Ridge subdivision, an older neighborhood east of Rock Quarry Road, a little more than 3 miles from the interchange of I-40 and I-440 southeast of downtown Raleigh.

Workers with the Wake County coroners office used gurneys to pull the victims out of the home shortly before 12:50 p.m.

Thomasi McDonald: 919-829-4533, @thomcdonald

Staff Writer Ron Gallagher contributed to this report.

  Comments