The seven students charged last week with illegally entering West Johnston High School had arrived on the campus to pick up a female student who had planned on skipping classes to hang out with the group.
"She talked to one of the individuals, and they showed up at the school for the young lady," Capt. Jeff Caldwell with the Johnston County Sheriff's Office said Monday. "When they got to the school, she didn't leave as quickly as they wanted."
Investigators say the teens grew impatient and rushed into the school and got into a brief altercation with a school resource officer. The officer managed to detain four of the teens.
Three others fled the building, but were taken into custody after investigators reviewed surveillance video, confirmed they had entered the building and captured them on the school grounds, Caldwell reported.
The school was placed on lockdown during the inciden,t while Johnston sheriff's deputies and state troopers arrived.
Officers who searched the school reported that no weapons were found.
None of the seven teens were students at West Johnston High.
Deputies charged three of the teens, who are between the ages of 16 and 17 with second-degree trespassing. Juvenile petitions were filed against the other four, who are ages 14 and 15. They were released into the custody of their parents, Caldwell reported.
The three charged as adults all live in Raleigh. They are:
- Joel Luna-Bernal, 16, of Millbrook Woods Drive.
- Jay Anthony Contreras, 17, of Lake Woodard Drive.
- Luis Daniel Garay, 16, of Lake Woodard Drive.
Tracey Peedin Jones, spokeswoman for the county school system, said the illegal entry and events that followed prompted what officials call a "perimeter lockdown."
Deputies and troopers said parents driving to the school after the lockdown was reported caused a traffic jam in the area around the school.