Education

Durham school removed from possible state takeover list

Parents and teachers are meeting at Glenn Elementary School on Tuesday, Oct. 10 to discuss strategies to prevent a possible state takeover.
Parents and teachers are meeting at Glenn Elementary School on Tuesday, Oct. 10 to discuss strategies to prevent a possible state takeover. bthomas@heraldsun.com

Glenn Elementary School is no longer on the list of schools targeted for a state takeover by the North Carolina Innovative School District (NCISD).

Durham School board Chairman Mike Lee said Friday, Oct. 13, that he received a text message from Eric Hall, superintendent of the NCISD, alerting him that Glenn is no longer on the list of schools being considered for the program.

Lakewood Elementary School was removed from the list last week.

“I am extremely excited that neither Durham school was selected for the Innovative School District,” Lee said. “Although we don’t have schools on the list, the community is going to keep this energy moving forward to make Glenn and Lakewood successes.”

This is a developing story.

Greg Childress: 919-419-6645, @gchild6645

Greg Childress: 919-419-6645, @gchild6645

  Comments