Four staff members at East Cary Middle School were taken to the hospital Thursday after a carbon monoxide leak led to an evacuation of a building on campus.
A teacher started feeling woozy shortly before noon, leading to an immediate evacuation of East Cary’s 100 Building, according to Matt Dees, a Wake County schools spokesman. He said many of the students were at lunch at the time and not in the building.
Emergency services personnel evaluated 10 students and seven adults, according to Deanna Boone, a Town of Cary spokeswoman. Dees said two teachers and two teacher assistants were taken to the hospital for observation, but that none of the students required medical treatment.
The building’s students were relocated to empty classrooms elsewhere on campus, which Dees said has not adversely affected East Cary’s operations.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Dees said the district’s maintenance staff is seeking the cause of the leak.