Education

East Cary Middle gas leak caused by leaking pipe in boiler

Last week’s carbon monoxide leak at East Cary Middle School that sent four people to the hospital has been traced to a leaking flue pipe in the boiler, according to the Wake County school system.

Building 100 at East Cary Middle was evacuated shortly before noon June 18 after a teacher started feeling woozy. Fortunately for the school, much of the building was unoccupied at the time because most students were at lunch.

Emergency services personnel evaluated 10 students and seven adults. Two teachers and two teacher assistants were taken to the hospital for observation, but all are back at work, according to Matt Dees, a Wake schools spokesman.

Dees said the district’s maintenance staff investigated the leak and traced it to the flue pipe. He said replacement piping is on order and that the building’s boiler will remain out of service until repairs are complete.

Students were briefly relocated to other buildings but Building 100 is back in use.

  Comments