Eight charter schools could open in Wake County for the 2015-16 school year that could eventually educate 6,115 students a year.
The eight applicants in Wake are:
• Kaleidoscope Art & Technology Charter High School
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
• Wisdom Academy
• PAVE Southeast Raleigh Charter School
• James Madison Academy
• Capital City Charter High School
• Central Wake Charter High School
• Cardinal Charter Academy at North Raleigh
• Cardinal Charter Academy of Knightdale
Initially, 20 applicants from Wake had filed letters of intent, a prerequisite before filling the application. Click here for a blog post that included more info on the applicants as the applications aren’t yet online.
Last school year, there were 6,229 Wake County students attending charter schools.
There are currently 15 charter schools in Wake County. Another four have received preliminary approval to open in the 2014-15 school year. If all eight new ones are approved, as many 27 charter schools could be open in Wake in 2015.