Nation & World

4 N.C.-based servicemen killed

The Department of Defense on Monday released the names of two soldiers from Fort Bragg and two Marines from Camp Lejeune who died last week while stationed overseas.

* Marine Cpl. Christopher Degiovine, 25, of Long Tree, Colo., died Thursday while conducting combat operations in Iraq's Anbar province.

* Marine Sgt. Peter Woodall, 25, of Sarasota, Fla., died Friday while conducting combat operations in Anbar province.

* Army Staff Sgt. Michael D. Thomas, 34, of Seffner, Fla., died Friday in Afghanistan's Herat province, of wounds suffered while fighting enemy forces.

* Army Spc. Daniel F. Mehringer, 20, of Morgantown, W.Va., died in Bagram, Afghanistan, from noncombat injuries. His death is under investigation.

Degiovine, who joined the Marines in December 2005, was trained as an armored vehicle crewman. He was assigned to the 2nd Assault Amphibian Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune.

Woodall was assigned to the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company, 8th Engineer Support Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, II Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune. He joined the Marine Corps in June 2000 and was trained as an explosive ordinance disposal technician.

Thomas was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg. He joined the Army in January 1991 as a military police officer.

In 2004, Thomas volunteered for Special Forces training. Upon completion of the Special Forces Qualification Course in 2006, he was assigned to the 7th Special Forces Group as a Special Forces weapons sergeant.

Thomas is survived by his wife, Teresa; a son, Craig; a daughter, Diana; a granddaughter, Alexis; and his mother and stepfather, Debbie and Bob Kirkpatrick of Thonotosassa, Fla.

Mehringer, an aviation support specialist was assigned to the Division Special Troops Battalion, 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg. He joined the Army in September 2004 and completed Aviation Support Specialist Advanced Individual Training in January 2005 at Fort Rucker, Ala. He completed the Basic Airborne Course in February of that year at Fort Benning, Ga. He reported to his unit in March of the same year.

"Specialist Mehringer loved the adrenaline rush of jumping out of an aircraft, and he was proud to be an 82nd Airborne Division paratrooper," said Sgt. 1st Class Rahn Bass, Mehringer's supervisor.

Mehringer is survived by his wife, Marialies Renee Mehringer of Morgantown, W.V.; his father, Howard S. Mehringer Jr. of Bellington, W.V.; and his mother, Sandra L. Skar of Morgantown, W.V.