DMV to NC drivers: Confirm your Division of Motor Vehicles appointment or risk losing it
People aren’t showing up for their DMV appointments.
In February, 1 in 3 people with appointments were no-shows, according to the N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles.
Now, people will be required to confirm their DMV appointments or risk them being canceled.
“Folks are used to having to confirm their medical and other appointments in this way,” DMV Commissioner Wayne Goodwin said in a news release. “So we’re applying this standard from the private sector to our business model and expecting good results and increased appointment availability.”
This change has been months in the works, said Marty Homan, DMV Communications Manager. Appointment reminders and confirmations were suggested by legislators during a nearly three-hour grilling of Goodwin earlier this month, The News & Observer reportedly previously.
How it works
When you make an appointment online at SkipTheLine.ncdot.gov, you will receive a text message and email with a confirmation link. You will have to confirm the appointment within 15 minutes, or it will be canceled.
Four days before the appointment, you will receive a reminder text and email with a confirmation link. You will need to confirm your appointment for a second time within 24 hours.
No-shows for appointments have been a concern for over a year now.
The DMV cut the number of appointments in 2023 and, instead, offered people the ability to walk into offices in the afternoon, The N&O previously reported.
This is the latest in a series of changes the DMV has made to improve efficiency after years of long lines at its offices.
This story was originally published March 27, 2024 at 11:15 AM.