The North Carolina-Duke football rivalry has found some life in recent years thanks in large part to Duke’s football resurgence, and what happened on Friday should contribute to what’s building between the two football programs.
Chazz Surratt, a class of 2016 quarterback prospect from Denver, N.C., has rescinded his commitment from Duke and committed to North Carolina.
Scout.com ranks Surratt, a 6-foot-3, 210-pound senior, as the state’s No. 2 quarterback prospect behind Cuthbertson’s Austin Kendall, an Oklahoma recruit.
“It’s just the relationship I had with Carolina’s coaches,” Surratt told The Charlotte Observer, “and I have been following them (and the NCAA issues). Last week, they said it was looking good and the lawyers were saying it wasn’t going to touch football. That re-opened my thought process.”
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
Surratt led East Lincoln to a 16-0 record last season and a state championship. He threw for 4,338 yards and 51 touchdowns. He rushed for 1,239 yards and 22 scores. When he committed to Duke April 21, he chose the Blue Devils over Boston College, Clemson, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, N.C. State, Tennessee, Wake Forest and West Virginia.
Surratt is also one of the state’s top basketball players, earning all-state honors after leading East Lincoln to the 2A state championship, where the Mustangs lost to Kinston and All-American Duke recruit Brandon Ingram, spoiling an unbeaten season.
Surratt said he felt at peace with his decision.
“I spoke to the Duke coaches earlier (Friday),” he said. “They were pretty upset, as you would probably expect. I felt like this was a good decision for me. Carolina would’ve been my first choice if not for the allegations. I have grown up being a Tar Heel fan. My family are Tar Heels fans. I really liked everything about it when I went to visit. I just felt like it was a good fit at UNC.”
Surratt said Tar Heels coaches have offered his brother, Sage, a 6-2 junior wide receiver, a scholarship to play football. He said Williams also extended the walk-on basketball offer to Sage Surratt. Sage Surratt is also being recruited by Wake Forest for basketball and is receiving Division I basketball interest from seven or eight schools, Chazz Surratt said.
Surratt is a four-star prospect, according to Rivals.com, and he becomes the first in-state player in UNC’s 2016 recruiting class. He told the Gaston Gazette that he has also secured a preferred walk-on spot on the UNC basketball team.
Surratt is UNC’s second quarterback commitment in the 2016 class. The other is Logan Bryd, who is from Kathleen, Ga. Like Surratt, Byrd is a four-star prospect, according to Rivals.com.
Both Surratt and Byrd are the highest-rated prospects in UNC’s 2016 class.