The Triangle is home to three Atlantic Coast Conference men's basketball teams — Duke, North Carolina and North Carolina State. And although their proximity makes them all rivals, the Blue Devils-Tar Heels duel is considered one of the fiercest rivalries in the United States.
Nestled only eight miles apart on 15-501, the two programs routinely rank in the Associated Press Top 10, and play at least twice a season.
Duke has been to fourteen Final Fours, and won three NCAA championships; North Carolina has appeared in 16 Final Fours, and has won four NCAA championships (the team was also awarded a fifth national championship by the Helms Athletic Foundation in 1936 for their undefeated 1924 season).
The Wolfpack, meanwhile, has appeared in three Final Fours, and won the NCAA championship in 1983.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
(You can go here for up-to-date news and information about ACC basketball.)
Here's a look at the Triangle's ACC programs:
Duke Blue Devils
- Duke plays in Cameron Indoor Stadium, home to the Cameron Crazies and Krzyzewskiville. Here's how you can find out about tickets, parking and the schedule. Good luck getting tickets, though. Duke had 258 sellouts through the 2006-07 season.
- In the 2006-2007 season, Duke compiled a 22-11 record (8-8 in the ACC). It was the team's 13th consecutive winning season.
- Coach Mike Krzyzewski, (pronounced Sha-shef-skee), got his 700th Duke win in February 2007, making him one of only two active coaches with that many wins at one school. He has won three national championships.
- Duke has had 31 players who have received All-America honors.
North Carolina Tar Heels
- UNC plays in the Dean Smith Center, also known as the Dean Dome. The first game played there had #1 UNC beating #3 Duke, 95-92, on Jan. 18, 1986. Go here for the tickets, parking and the schedMen's ACC Basketball | share.triangle.comule.
- In the 2006-2007 season, UNC compiled a 31-7 record (11-5 in the ACC).
- Coach Roy Williams was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in September 2007.
- Go here to learn about UNC's national championship teams, including "The Shot" in 1982 by Michael Jordan.
N.C. State Wolfpack
- N.C. State plays in the RBC Center, a facility the Wolfpack share with the Carolina Hurricanes hockey team. Before the move to the RBC Center, the team played its games at Reynolds Coliseum. Go here for tickets, parking and the schedule.
- In th 2006-2007 season, N.C. State compiled a 20-16 record (5-11 in the ACC).
- Coach Sidney Lowe, hired in 2006, was the point guard for the 1983 N.C. State team that won a national championship under Coach Jim Valvano. Lowe is the team's 18th basketball coach.
- David Thompson, the AP National Player of the Year in 1974 and 1975, and Coach Everett Case are members of the Basketball Hall of Fame. Case led the Wolfpack to six Southern Conference and four ACC titles in the 1940s and '50s
The Triangle is also home to men's basketball programs at three historically black schools: North Carolina Central of Durham, and St. Augustine's and Shaw, both in Raleigh. NCCU has moved up to Division I, while St. Aug's and Shaw are members of the Division II CIAA.
- N.C. Central plays at McLendon-McDougald Gymnasium
- Coach Henry Dickerson is a 1973 graduate of Morris Harvey University of Charleston
- N.C. Central is competing as an independent in its Division I transition. It is seeking to become a member of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
- Go here to learn more about the recent history of the Eagles' program.
- St. Augustine's plays at Emory Gymnasium
- Coach Thomas Hargrove is a 1965 alumnus of St. Aug.'s
- The Falcons finished the 2006-2007 season with a 19-9 record.