• The Hornets plan to re-hang Bobby Phills’ No. 13 jersey during halftime of the Nov. 1 home game against the Memphis Grizzlies. The original Hornets retired Phills’ jersey after he died in a car accident in January 2000. The retired jersey went to New Orleans when the Hornets moved. Now it will be back as part of the rebranding.
• Hornets owner Michael Jordan will take charge of the team’s Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts next Tuesday, the day before the team’s season-opener against the Milwaukee Bucks.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• The NBA has made moving screens a point of emphasis this season, and that’s apparent from how preseason exhibitions were called. Players are so far slow to adjust.
• The Hornets’ various injuries kept coach Steve Clifford from accomplishing what he hoped in the team’s eight exhibitions. The defense is definitely off what fans came to expect last season.
• Michael Kidd-Gilchrist started the game by making an 18-footer, then hit his next three shots in the first half. Making even one jump shot forced the defense to deal with him differently.