• Chick-fil-A Bowl participants Duke and Texas A&M were at Saturday’s Bobcats-Hawks game, and some of the players participated in a skills competition at halftime. Based on how he missed that layup, Johnny Manziel isn’t “Johnny Basketball.”
• With center Al Horford out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle, the Hawks are scrambling to fill the position by committee. Former Duke star Elton Brand got the start, and Bobcats counterpart Al Jefferson had a pretty easy time posting him up.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• The Utah Jazz essentially broke up its core last summer when they didn’t re-sign Jefferson or Paul Milsap. Milsap has turned into a great addition to the Hawks, probably the best move Danny Ferry has made since taking over that basketball operation.
• Atlanta guard Kyle Korver extended his streak of making at least one 3-pointer to 99 games, but it wasn’t easy Saturday. It took until the fourth quarter, with Anthony Tolliver doing a good job of sticking with him throughout this game.
• The Hawks took 12 more free throws Saturday than the Bobcats did. Awfully hard for them to overcome that the way they’re currently constructed.