The Carolina Hurricanes' return to Boston for a playoff series has evoked many reminiscences of their days as the Hartford Whalers, when they went 0-2 against the Bruins in the postseason.
Four players from the final team in Hartford (in the 1996-97 season) are still playing professionally, and another handful retired after last season, including Geoff Sanderson and Glen Wesley.
5. Nolan Pratt -- Moved to Russia to play for Khabarovsk Amur in the KHL after playing for the Bruins in 2007-08.
4. Jean-Sebastien Giguere -- Won the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP in 2003 and the Stanley Cup in 2007, but lost his job to Jonas Hiller this season.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
3. Sami Kapanen -- Left the Philadelphia Flyers after last season to return to his native Finland and play for KalPa, the pro team he owns there.
2. Marek Malik -- Now with his fourth NHL club, the gargantuan defenseman continues to prove his critics wrong.
1. Brendan Shanahan -- The Canes knocked his New Jersey Devils out of the playoffs -- and knocked one of his false teeth out in Game 6.