Wilber’s Barbecue, considered one of North Carolina’s essential barbecue joints, has closed, according to the state’s department of revenue.
A photo on social media shows a sign from the N.C. Department of Revenue saying the restaurant “has been seized for nonpayment of taxes,” according to the Goldsboro News-Argus.
Friday morning, the Wayne County clerk of court office confirmed that Wilber’s has five state tax liens on file. Three liens filed last year and two this year total nearly $64,000 in unpaid North Carolina taxes, the clerk of court’s office said.
Wilber’s has been open since 1962, named for 88-year-old owner Wilber Shirley, and is considered one of the icons in Eastern North Carolina barbecue.
The restaurant is at 4172 U.S. 70. In an emailed statement, the state Department of Revenue declined to provide additional details, citing the “taxpayer secrecy law.”
“Under state law, the Department of Revenue has the power to seize a business for nonpayment of taxes as a last resort after all other voluntary and forced tax collection measures have failed,” said Schorr Johnson, director of public affairs for the department. “When and if the tax issue is resolved, the NCDOR relinquishes control to the owner.”
Efforts to reach owners were unsuccessful.
The last year has been unkind to some of the state’s most historic barbecue institutions, with Wilber’s joining other famous North Carolina barbecue restaurants to close in recent months.
Allen & Son Barbeque closed in December after 48 years. Bill’s Barbecue in Wilson closed in January after 56 years.