Food & Drink

Groups break ties with Al’s Burger Shack amid harassment allegations and bankruptcy

Al’s Burger Shack will no longer be part of Beer Study’s Durham expansion.
Al’s Burger Shack will no longer be part of Beer Study’s Durham expansion. Courtesy of Al’s Burger Shack

The Durham location of Al’s Burger Shack has been called off. In recent days, the popular local burger chain has filed for bankruptcy protection and been linked to sexual harassment allegations.

The Chapel Hill-based company owned by Al Bowers had been slated to join Durham’s Beer Study, but the bar announced Saturday that Al’s will no longer be part of the expansion.

“We’ve gotten a lot of questions regarding the participation of Al’s Burger Shack in our upcoming expansion,” Beer Study announced in a Facebook post. “In light of recent events, we have decided to go in a different direction for the food program.”

Earlier this month, Beer Study announced it would expand its footprint in Durham’s Rockwood Shopping Center, at 2501 University Drive, joining the space formerly occupied by Italian restaurant The Boot. In that space, there were plans to add a fourth location of Al’s Burger Shack and a new soccer-centric bar called The Boot Room. Beer Study’s Facebook post suggested that plans for The Boot Room will continue, as owners look for a new restaurant option.

The three locations of Al’s Burger Shack filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Jan. 3, seeking to restructure more than $1 million in debt between the restaurants.

In a text message, Beer Study co-owner AJ Ragosta declined to clarify what the company meant by “recent events,” saying the original statement is its public comment.

Rape Crisis Center ends relationship

Last week, the Orange County Rape Crisis Center announced on Facebook that it was also cutting ties with Bowers and his restaurants. The organization said Bowers had been a sponsor of the group in the past. In its statement, the group referenced an anonymous flier posted in the Chapel Hill and Carrboro area accusing Bowers of sexual harassment as its reason for cutting ties.

“On January 10, 2020, the OCRCC was alerted to public accusations that sexual harassment had been made against Al Bowers, local business owner and business sponsor of the Orange County Rape Crisis Center,” the Facebook post reads. “While we do not typically comment publicly on local cases, our affiliation with the accused compels us to do so. We write today to affirm our commitment to supporting and believing survivors. All survivors of unwanted sexual attention — including rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment — deserve safety and support. The Orange County Rape Crisis Center is committed to providing a safe space for hope, help and healing for all survivors in our community. We recognize that our public association with Mr. Bowers compromises our ability to be a safe space for all, and for this reason we have decided to cut ties with Mr. Bowers and his businesses.”

The Facebook post is signed by the group’s leadership, executive director Rachel Valentine, board president Julia Da Silva, board vice president Annie Johnston, treasurer Lauren Erickson and secretary Ryan Huckabee.

In a phone interview Monday afternoon, Valentine said the organization could not comment on the existence of any specific allegations.

Clearing obstacles for victims

“What’s most important to us is that survivors of all types of sexual harassment recognize our agency as a safe space,” Valentine said. “Our fairly visible public affiliation with the accused compromises our ability to do that. It was important for us to clear any obstacles for victims to come forward.”

Valentine said Al’s Burger Shack had raised a few thousand dollars for the organization by participating in the OCRCC’s holiday auction. She said that Bowers was notified separately that the OCRCC would cut ties with him and his restaurants.

The referenced flier accuses Bowers of sexual harassment, but doesn’t make specific allegations. It was posted in multiple locations.

In speaking about the Rape Crisis Center’s work, Valentine said it supports victims of various levels of sexual harassment, whether or not those experiences rise to the level of criminal violations.

“If anyone is struggling with their own feelings on how to handle a situation of sexual harassment, we’re here 24-7,” Valentine said. “If they are interested in seeking our service or support, there’s no condition they have to go public or name names. They deserve support whether or not they choose to go public.”

Reached by phone Monday morning, Bowers declined to comment on the statements by the OCRCC or Beer Study, but suggested a statement was forthcoming.

Listen to our daily briefing:

This story was originally published January 13, 2020 at 1:00 PM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Drew Jackson
The News & Observer
Drew Jackson writes about restaurants and dining for The News & Observer and The Herald-Sun, covering the food scene in the Triangle and North Carolina.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER