Southern Ideal Home Show is next weekend
The Southern Ideal Home Show is April 8-10 at the state fairgrounds in Raleigh. Here are a few of the show’s highlights:
▪ Chip Wade, co-host of HGTV’s newest show, “Wise Buys,” will speak at 1:30 p.m. April 9 and 10. He will speak on “The Art of the Amazing Space: Lessons Learned from 10 Years of TV Makeovers.” Wade also hosts HGTV’s “Elbow Room” and often appears in the role of carpenter or contractor on HGTV shows such as “Curb Appeal: The Block” and “Designed to Sell.” Following each talk, Wade will host a meet-and-greet session for fans to take pictures and get autographs.
▪ Experts and hosts from UNC-TV shows will take the Home Ideas Stage on April 10 to share home and garden tips. Brie Arthur, edible landscape design correspondent on “Growing A Greener World,” will speak at12:30 p.m. Heather Burgiss, host and producer of “My Home, NC,” will speak at 2:30 p.m. Mike Gray, host and producer of the “Almanac Gardener,” will speak at 3:30 p.m.
▪ Discount tickets are available. Tickets cost $9. All runners participating in the Rock ’n’ Roll Raleigh Marathon and Half Marathon can enter for $5. Just bring race bib to the show to receive discount. On Friday, people who are 55 or older can attend for $7. Also on Friday, active and former military, police, firefighter or EMT with valid identification can attend for free.
The show is 11 a.m.- 7 p.m. April 8, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. April 9 and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. April 10.
2 quilting events
There are two upcoming events for quilting fans.
▪ Warrenton Quilt Days, April 16 and 17, includes a historic home tour and quilt show. It features tours of more than a dozen historic homes, quilting lectures and quilts on display. The tickets cost $35 per person. (Warrenton is about an hour north of Raleigh.)
The event is 10 a.m.-5 p.m. April 16 and 1-5 p.m. April 17. Purchase tickets online or call 252-257-7117 or 252-257-3800 from 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday.
▪ The 2016 North Carolina Quilt Symposium, June 2-5 at Raleigh’s William Peace University.
The three-day event, “Quilting with the Stars,” will feature 22 nationally known instructors who will speak on a variety of topics including color theory, hand quilting, fiber art, hand applique, machine quilting, hand piecing, digital quilt design, landscape quilting, English paper piecing, machine applique, foundation paper piecing, thread painting, 3-D applique and free-motion quilting.
The event also will feature vendors, information booths and a silent auction of miniature quilts.
Multiflora Greenhouses’ open house
Hillsborough’s Multiflora Greenhouses is hosting a spring open house 10 a.m.-3 p.m. April 2.
The event includes free guided greenhouse tours, live music, complimentary hot dogs and soft drinks, Orange County Master Gardeners and more. There will be a raffle with proceeds benefiting the Fairview Community Garden.
The greenhouses are at 1623 New Sharon Church Road.
Info: 919-732-3630, multifloragreenhouses.com
Sew pennants for SEEDS community garden
Spoonflower, a Durham custom fabric design company, is hosting a “crafternoon” from noon-2 p.m. April 2 to support Durham’s SEEDS community garden.
Participants will sew pennants, using fabric donated by Spoonflower, to be displayed throughout the garden this spring. All ages and all skill levels are welcome.
The event will be at Spoonflower, 2810 Meridian Parkway, Suite 176, Durham.