Twelve Rite Aid stores in the Triangle will be closing in the next few weeks.
Last year, as part of a $4.3 billion deal, Walgreens agreed to buy 1,932 Rite Aid stores nationwide, plus three distribution centers. In the Raleigh-Durham area, the Illinois-based pharmacy chain acquired 38 Rite Aid stores. It plans to close more than 20 of those stores, said Fiona Ortiz, spokeswoman for Walgreens. It has yet to identify the remaining stores that will be closed, Ortiz said.
Rite Aids in Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh and Zebulon will be closed; others will be rebranded as Walgreens over time, starting with the pharmacies. The Rite Aid stores that are being closed are typically within a mile of Walgreens locations.
Ortiz said customers may transfer their Rite Aid prescriptions to any Walgreens or Walgreens-owned Rite Aid stores.
At each store, the pharmacy will close first and the rest of the store about two weeks later, Ortiz said.
Here is a list of the 12 stores slated to close:
▪ 1129 Weaver Dairy Road in Chapel Hill — pharmacy closing on July 11
▪ 3798 Guess Road in Durham — pharmacy closing on July 16
▪ 1800 E. Franklin St. in Chapel Hill — pharmacy closing on July 17
▪ 8005 Fayetteville Road in Raleigh — pharmacy closing on July 17
▪ 8841 Six Forks Road in Raleigh — pharmacy closing on July 18
▪ 1311 W. NC 54 in Durham — pharmacy closing on July 23
▪ 101 Woodcroft Road in Durham — pharmacy closing July 24
▪ 5631 Creedmoor Road in Raleigh — pharmacy closing on July 25
▪ 320 N Arendell Ave. in Zebulon — pharmacy closing on July 26
▪ 2711 Jones Franklin Road in Cary — pharmacy closing on July 30
▪ 2850 Capital Blvd. in Raleigh — pharmacy closing on July 31
▪ 13300 Strickland Road in Raleigh — pharmacy closing on Aug. 2
Ortiz could not say how many employees will be affected by the closings, but said the company is trying to place Rite Aid employees into jobs at Walgreens locations.
Ashley Flower, spokeswoman for Rite Aid, said seven Rite Aid stores in North Carolina were not purchased by Walgreens. Rite Aid will continue to own and operate those stores in Mount Airy, Clayton, Goldsboro, Holly Springs, Rocky Mount, Tarboro and Wilson.