Business

Triangle retail round-up: Umbrella Bar pop-up schedule, latest Red Lobster closure news

Umbrella Dry Bar’s Strawberry Go-iito is made with Caleno Light & Zesty, strawberry, mint, lime and soda.
Umbrella Dry Bar’s Strawberry Go-iito is made with Caleno Light & Zesty, strawberry, mint, lime and soda.

A Triangle nonalcoholic bar pops in on brick-and-mortars. A North Carolina-based retailer holds a charity event. A popular seafood chain faces financial challenges.

These are just a few of the recent business developments affecting Triangle residents. Read on for details.

Local nonalcoholic bar announces pop-ups, enters retailers

When Umbrella Dry Bar closed in downtown Raleigh in April, it wasn’t the end for the nonalcoholic watering hole.

Triangle residents can enjoy booze-free cocktails, wine and more at events and pop-ups over the summer. Plus, a couple of retailers will feature an Umbrella Dry Bar section.

Find mocktails, wine and ready-to-drink aperitifs at the following places:

  • At Raleigh’s Rebus Works, 301-2 Kinsey St., 6-10 p.m. every Saturday starting in June
  • At Raleigh’s NoRa Cafe, 12333 Strickland Road, 4-7 p.m. every Thursday starting in June
  • At Durham’s Cheeni, 1141 Falls River Ave., 5-10 p.m. every Wednesday starting in June
  • At Raleigh’s Live After 5 series on Fayetteville Street
  • At the Beach Music Concert Series at Raleigh’s North Hills
  • At Clouds Brewing Family Day on June 9
  • At Roots for Reece at Haven Farm in Knightdale on June 9
  • At Out! Raleigh Pride on June 22

Umbrella was Raleigh’s first spirit-free cocktail bar, The News & Observer previously reported, and its last day came just four months after it debuted on Martin Street.

“Our mission is to redefine the social drinking experience by offering zero-proof craft cocktails and functional, restorative, alcohol-free beverage,” Umbrella owner and founder Meg Paradise said in a news release. “We believe in evolving the ritual of ‘having a drink’ into a more inclusive and health-conscious experience.”

Beginning June 1, two Raleigh retailers will include Umbrella Dry Bar sections. The Self Care Marketplace at 12 W. Martin St. will have a more extensive selection of items available for purchase in store, online or delivery. Rebus Works, at 301-2 Kinsey St., will sell grab-and-go products and batched cocktails.

Umbrella Dry Bar founder and owner Meg Paradise said the company’s mission is to “redefine the social drinking experience” with zero-proof cocktails and alcohol-free beverages.
Umbrella Dry Bar founder and owner Meg Paradise said the company’s mission is to “redefine the social drinking experience” with zero-proof cocktails and alcohol-free beverages. Umbrella Dry Bar

Belk offers discounts for donations

North Carolina-based Belk’s spring charity sale is coming up.

More than 6,000 nonprofit organizations have benefited from the sale since its inception in 2006.

Here’s how it works: Shoppers who buy a $5 charity sale ticket will get $5 off their Belk purchase and a 25% off coupon to be used at the store’s charity sale, scheduled for June 7-9. Tickets may be purchased at Belk stores. Proceeds from ticket sales will go to nonprofits such as Salvation Army, Boys & Girls Clubs and Family Promise.

“Since Belk’s doors first opened over 135 years ago, we’ve been committed to giving back to our local communities,” Belk CEO Don Hendricks said in a press release. “Charity Sale offers our customers a unique and rewarding way to support local nonprofits while receiving exclusive discounts on popular national brands.”

There are several Belk stores in the Triangle, including at Raleigh’s Crabtree mall and in Durham. Use the company’s online store finder to locate a Belk near you.

Red Lobster files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection

The sign in front of the Red Lobster restaurant at 2077 Riverside Drive in Macon.
The sign in front of the Red Lobster restaurant at 2077 Riverside Drive in Macon. Joe Kovac Jr. jkovac@macon.com

It’s not looking good for Red Lobster.

The popular seafood chain beloved for its cheddar biscuits filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, the restaurant announced May 19.

Red Lobster hopes this will help “drive operational improvements, simplify the business through a reduction in locations, and pursue a sale of substantially all of its assets as a going concern.”

Many restaurants across the country, including several in North Carolina, were previously listed as “temporarily closed” on Red Lobster’s website, The N&O previously reported. The locations on Chapel Hill Boulevard in Durham, Walnut Street in Cary, North Wesleyan Boulevard in Rocky Mount and Glidewell Drive in Burlington were among those with the temporarily closed designation. As of publication, the restaurants are still listed as such on the website.

The News & Observer reached out to Red Lobster on Wednesday and Thursday last week to ask whether any North Carolina restaurants will be closed permanently. We’ll keep you updated.

In case you missed it

Here’s some more retail news we’ve recently reported:
Read Next
Read Next
Renee Umsted
The News & Observer
Renee Umsted is The News & Observer’s Affordability Reporter. She writes about what it costs to live in the Triangle, with a consumer-focused approach. She has a degree in journalism from TCU. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER