Business

PBS North Carolina may move to downtown Raleigh. Will $1 million help?

PBS NC rebranded from UNC-TV in 2021. Raleigh leaders approved a $1 million Business Investment Grant to support the relocation of its headquarters and public investment to the city.
PBS NC rebranded from UNC-TV in 2021. Raleigh leaders approved a $1 million Business Investment Grant to support the relocation of its headquarters and public investment to the city. PBS NC

North Carolina’s public television network could be making a move to downtown Raleigh.

The Raleigh City Council recently approved a $1 million grant to help PBS North Carolina — formerly UNC-TV Public Media North Carolina — relocate its headquarters from Research Triangle Park to the capital city.

The network, responsible for shows like “State Lines” and “NC Weekend,” is seeking new locations that will “strengthen our commitment to community engagement, education and high-quality productions,” CEO and General Manager David Crabtree said in a statement.

PBS North Carolina, owned by the University of North Carolina System, will mark 70 years of service in the state next month. In an email, the network said no decision had been made on the relocation. It declined to say what locations it may be considering, including in downtown Raleigh.

If it moves, the station would be bringing 140 employees and making a $28 million investment in downtown Raleigh, according to the city.

The Raleigh City Council approved a Business Investment Grant at its Nov. 19 meeting. The grant provides cash to new and existing businesses that will help the Raleigh economy through job creation and taxable investments.

Kyle Touchstone, the director of Raleigh Economic Development, said at the meeting that the grant would be paid out over three years if PBS North Carolina decides to come to the city.

Any relocation will depend on several factors including financial support

“We also believe that, alongside multiple efforts from our partners, this project can energize the core business district along Fayetteville Street,” Touchstone said.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, Fayetteville Street has struggled to bounce back from the closing of businesses, restaurants and bars. Last month, the city began offering free, two-hour parking in several public decks downtown to encourage more foot traffic to the area.

Councilman Jonathan Melton said the city has partnered with local groups like the Downtown Raleigh Alliance to help boost employment and opportunities downtown. He said a potential relocation by PBS North Carolina would “bring a lot of other activity and excitement to the area.”

Bill King, president of the alliance, said getting the public television network would bring “new visibility to downtown Raleigh for the state.”

“Having a PBS NC presence in downtown with its focus on North Carolina culture, science and educational programming would align well with our recent Economic Development Strategy’s vision to make Downtown Raleigh a celebration of the best of North Carolina with Fayetteville Street as North Carolina’s main street and complementary of the nearby state science and history museums,” King said.

None of the council members commented at the meeting on the grant, which was approved unanimously.

About PBS North Carolina

UNC-TV debuted in 1955 and rebranded to PBS North Carolina in 2021.

In addition to programs like “Sci NC,” “Black Issues Forum” and “Side by Side with Nido Qubein,” the network provides educational resources and materials for educators and children, including the Rootle TV Channel.

The multimedia network has 12 stations across the state and some parts of Virginia, Tennessee, Georgia and South Carolina. They average 1 million weekly viewers and form the third-largest PBS member network in the country.

“We are grateful to the City of Raleigh for offering a grant to support our next chapter of service to North Carolina,” Crabtree said.

This story was originally published December 18, 2024 at 2:57 PM.

Kristen Johnson
The News & Observer
Kristen Johnson is a local government reporter covering Durham for The News & Observer. She previously covered Cary and western Wake County. Prior to coming home to the Triangle, she reported for The Fayetteville Observer and spent time covering politics and culture in Washington, D.C. She is an alumna of UNC at Charlotte and American University. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER