Business

Starting from high $400K: New Durham community targets 55-plus homebuyers

Epcon
Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • New Durham subdivision opens with 166 ranch-style homes targeting 55-plus buyers.
  • Price range spans high $400Ks to mid $800Ks with first-floor owner suites.
  • Developer Epcon touts amenity-rich, low-maintenance living amid aging population growth.

A new subdivision targeting homebuyers ages 55 and up has opened in eastern Durham, and it comes with a promise: “low-maintenance living.”

Developed by Epcon Communities, the Courtyards on Oak Grove at 1702 Doc Nichols Road is now selling 166 ranch-style homes. Options include single-family and townhomes, with two-, three-, and four-bedroom plans, ranging from 1,500 to 3,000 square feet.

With multiple products to choose from, the neighborhood offers “more affordable housing options,” said Paul Hanson, regional president for Epcon Communities, in a release.

It’s roughly 10 miles southeast of downtown Durham, near NC‑98, Sherron Road, and the Oak Grove area.

Features include first-floor owner suites, open-floor plans and private courtyards alongside other amenities like a clubhouse, fitness center, pool, pickleball court, fire pit and pocket parks.

Prices start at the high $400,000s and go up to the mid $800,000s.

The Ohio-based builder, founded in 1986, specializes in developing “amenity-rich” neighborhoods, landscaping services included. The product is “popular with 55-plus buyers,” it says on its website.

A model kitchen inside the new 55-plus community called The Courtyards at Oak Grove at 1702 Doc Nichols Road in Durham.
A model kitchen inside the new 55-plus community called The Courtyards at Oak Grove at 1702 Doc Nichols Road in Durham. Epcon

In recent years, it’s built or planned eight communities in the Triangle, including three in Chapel Hill, two in Durham and three in Cary.

Most recently, it opened the 64-home Courtyards on Farrington in Chapel Hill, and 73-home Courtyards at Lochmere in Cary. Both are priced from the upper $400,000s.

A growing trend

Between 2020 and 2023, the number of residents aged 65 and over jumped by 18.3% in the Raleigh-Cary metro area, making it one of the fastest-growing areas for this demographic in the country.

That surge is reshaping the Triangle housing market. At one end, it’s driving up demand for more affordable senior housing amid a chronic housing shortage and rising prices. At the other end, it’s spawning resort-style housing aimed at “active adults” aged 55 and over.

A rendering of Altis at Serenity, a new 500-acre planned community in Fuquay-Varina offering 425 homes for adults ages 55. Developed by Tri Pointe Homes, it’s set to open in spring 2025.
A rendering of Altis at Serenity, a new 500-acre planned community in Fuquay-Varina offering 425 homes for adults ages 55. Developed by Tri Pointe Homes, it’s set to open in spring 2025. Tri Pointe Homes

Other newly opened projects catering to this fast-growing market include Tri Pointe Homes’ Altis at Serenity, a 425-home planned community in Fuquay-Varina; and Mungo Homes’ 600-home Ovation at Sweetbrier subdivision in Southeast Durham.

Both communities offer homes starting at around $400,000.

On the Market

Keep up with the latest Triangle real estate news by subscribing to On the Market, The News & Observer's free weekly real estate newsletter. Look for it in your inbox every Thursday morning. Sign up here.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Chantal Allam
The News & Observer
Chantal Allam covers real estate for the The News & Observer and The Herald-Sun. She writes about commercial and residential real estate, covering everything from deals, expansions and relocations to major trends and events. She previously covered the Triangle technology sector and has been a journalist on three continents.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER