Coronavirus live updates: Here’s what to know in North Carolina on March 24
Click here for the March 25 updates.
We’re keeping track of the most up-to-date news about coronavirus in North Carolina. Check back for updates.
Cases near 500
North Carolina has at least 498 reported cases of coronavirus as of Tuesday evening, according to county and state officials.
About half of the state’s 100 counties have reported at least one case of COVID-19.
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services on Tuesday said the state had 398 cases, 101 more than it reported the day before.
Mecklenburg County has the highest number of cases in the state, with 142. Durham County has 74 reported cases, and Wake County has 73.
Durham County reported three additional cases Tuesday evening, and Wake County reported seven.
Twenty-nine people were hospitalized with this virus in North Carolina as of Tuesday afternoon, officials said.
In Mecklenburg County, one in five coronavirus patients was hospitalized as of Tuesday. On Monday, it was one in eight
More than 10,000 coronavirus tests have been completed in the state, officials said Tuesday, and there are 13,000 more waiting to be processed.
.
‘Stay at home’ orders in Mecklenburg County and Durham
A “stay at home” order will go into effect in Mecklenburg County on Thursday morning, officials said Tuesday.
Some “essential movements” will still be allowed, and businesses that sell essentials like food or medicine will be allowed to stay open under the order.
Durham city officials will announce a “stay-at-home” order on Wednesday, the city’s mayor said in a news release on Tuesday night.
Community spread was identified in at least one case in Durham.
Three other North Carolina communities had already effectively issued shelter-in-place orders, getting ahead of state leaders who have not yet put in place the strict measure.
Madison County in Western North Carolina, Pitt County and the town of Beaufort on the coast asked residents on Monday to stay home and limit travel. Residents are still allowed to go to work, the pharmacy, grocery stores or medical appointments.
Gov. Roy Cooper has declined to issue a shelter-in-place order for the state.
The N.C. Healthcare Association on Monday asked the governor to put that type of order into effect to help stop the spread of COVID-19. The association represents all of the state’s hospitals.
Wake testing changes
Wake County officials said Tuesday they’re changing their strategy to fight COVID-19.
The county will test fewer people who have mild symptoms and will instead encourage more self-isolation. Only those ages 65 and older, those will underlying conditions, health care workers and first responders will be tested.
The changes are in response to “community spread” of the virus in the county. Officials estimate there are five to 10 people who have coronavirus and don’t know where or how they were exposed.
More file for unemployment
As of Tuesday, 140,000 North Carolinians have filed for unemployment since March 16.
An additional 25,000 people filed on Monday, the same day Gov. Roy Cooper ordered more businesses to close in an effort to slow the spread of the virus.
The N.C. Department of Employment Security upgraded its computer servers to prevent its website from crashing due to increased traffic. The department also wants to hire 50 new workers.
Popular park closes
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the busiest in the United States, is abruptly closing Tuesday afternoon. As coronavirus spreads, the park has been flooded with thousands of visitors.
The park, which lies on the border of North Carolina and Tennessee, could reopen as early as April 6.
Drive-through testing
Charlotte Motor Speedway is among the places in North Carolina where people can get tested for COVID-19. The racing sports complex is offering drive-through testing in partnership with Atrium Health.
Burr faces lawsuit
Last week, media outlets reported that U.S. Sen. Richard Burr sold up to $1.7 million in stocks in mid-February following private coronavirus briefings.
Now the senator is facing a shareholder lawsuit claiming he used private information to decide to sell the stocks.
Bank employee bonuses
Wells Fargo on Monday became the latest bank with ties to the Charlotte area to announce bonuses for its workers as coronavirus spreads. Bank of America and Truist, a merger of BB&T and SunTrust, have similar plans.
Hospitals stockpile equipment
Hospital systems in the Triangle say they are stockpiling personal protective equipment, or PPE.
Duke Health, WakeMed and UNC Health all say they have adequate supplies for now, but they worry they will run out in the coming weeks.
Use of PPE has grown by as much as 500% at WakeMed in the past week, according to Dr. Chris DeRienzo, the health system’s chief medical officer.
Gov. Roy Cooper said Tuesday the state is struggling to get the PPE needed by health care workers.
He said the federal government has not “stepped up” to provide North Carolina with the supplies needed to fight the virus.
About 20 percent of people infected with COVID-19 in North Carolina have been hospitalized, he said.
More businesses ordered to close
The governor on Monday banned gatherings of more than 50 people in North Carolina and ordered additional businesses to close, including gyms, movie theaters, barbershops and nail and hair salons.
School closures extended
All North Carolina public schools will remain closed through May 15, Cooper said Monday afternoon.
He previously ordered all public K-12 schools closed until March 30 but said Monday the extended closure is necessary to “promote public health and safety.”
School officials are expected to focus more on providing remote learning for students.
Wake County school officials said Tuesday that devices will be delivered to the thousands of families in the county who don’t have computers at home so their children can participate in online learning.
Do you have questions about the coronavirus? The News & Observer will get the answers for you. Go to bit.ly/virusnc and let us know what you need to know.
This story was originally published March 24, 2020 at 6:52 AM.