Coronavirus

Wake County is ending its stay-at-home order. Here’s what does (and doesn’t) change.

Listen to our daily briefing:

Wake County will let its stay-at-home order end Thursday night, easing restrictions for residents starting Friday.

The county’s more than 1 million people will instead follow North Carolina’s stay-at-home order, which allows small gatherings and larger funerals with social distancing.

“We put our order in place in late March to slow the spread of COVID-19 in Wake County, one day before the governor issued the state-wide stay-at-home order,” said Greg Ford, chairman of the Wake County Board of Commissioners.

“Our community was affected first by the virus, making it vital that we act more swiftly,” he explained. “But now that there is community spread and we are all fighting to slow the spread collectively, it’s appropriate to follow the state’s order, which provides some additional flexibility to our residents.”

Wake County issued a stay-at-home order to help stop the spread of the coronavirus after recording the state’s first confirmed case.

What changes?

Wake County has had a stricter order than the state, banning gatherings outside a person’s immediate household members.

Starting at 12:01 a.m. Friday, gatherings of up to 10 people will be allowed, as well as up to 50 people at a funeral, as long as people outside an immediate household are six feet apart.

Churches may open if they have fewer than 10 people and drive-in church services are allowed, which was later added to Wake County’s original order.

What about businesses?

Wake County’s original stay-at-home order also had a stricter definition of essential businesses.

The state’s order lists “businesses that meet social distancing requirements” as essential, while Wake County’s originally didn’t.

That means bookstores, clothing shops and other retailers may reopen in Wake County as long as they follow social distancing.

The state’s order also says stores are limited to 20% of their stated fire capacity, or five people per 1,000 square feet.

When counties have the same order as the state, it is easier for businesses as they try to reopen and operate during the pandemic, said Andy Ellen, president of the N.C. Retail Merchants Association.

What doesn’t change?

People are still encouraged to stay home except for essential travel like grocery shopping and exercising outdoors as long as social distancing is in place.

Hair salons, gyms and movie theaters remain closed, but other business that keep people six feet apart can stay open.

Does this apply to the entire county?

Mostly.

Wake County’s order applies to Raleigh, the unincorporated parts of Wake County and all the towns except Apex.

Individual mayors are responsible for their jurisdiction’s rules. On its own, Wake County can make an order only for the unincorporated parts of the county.

Previously, all of Wake County’s municipalities had signed on to Wake County’s order.

What’s happening in Apex?

Apex did not join the county’s decision Wednesday and plans to issue its own order, according to a Wake County news release.

Mayor Jacques Gilbert planned to sign a local order sometime Wednesday afternoon, but he said the town will also follow the state’s rules. He wanted to issue his own order to help town residents who didn’t know which order to follow.

“We are trying to take one link out of that chain of confusion and point people directly to the state order,” he said. “So it is exactly the same as the state order.”

At different points, Apex residents were following a county order, then a town order and then back to the county order. The change to the town order occurred after Gilbert bucked the county to allow drive-in church services. That change was later added to the county’s order, which Apex then signed on to.

Gilbert previously expressed frustration with the county’s strict rules and said the town would not be extending the county’s order.

“He hasn’t yet shared his plans with me or County Manager (David) Ellis, but I am confident Mayor Gilbert believes he’s doing what is best for the residents of Apex,” Ford said.

“In times like these it’s always good when all residents throughout Wake County have consistency in local government’s response,” he said.

How long does it last?

Gov. Roy Cooper last week extended the state’s stay-at-home order through May 8 and outlined a plan to gradually reopen the state if benchmarks are met. The state also could extend its stay-at-home order.

Could a local stay-at-home order come back?

Yes. If Wake County’s data heads in a negative direction, local orders may be put in place again, Ford said.

How many COVID-19 cases are on Wake County?

As of 12:45 p.m. Wednesday, there were nearly 800 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Wake County and 16 deaths.

What about Orange and Durham counties?

Both Orange and Durham counties have decided to extend their stay at home orders, to May 8 and May 15, respectively.

This story was originally published April 29, 2020 at 1:07 PM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Coronavirus in North Carolina

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Anna Roman
The News & Observer
Anna Roman is a service journalism reporter for the News & Observer. She has previously covered city government, crime and business for newspapers across North Carolina and received many North Carolina Press Association awards, including first place for investigative reporting. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER