Local

Man accused of threatening to shoot Wake students now charged with having child porn

Child pornography charges have been filed against a Wake Forest man who is already being held behind bars on charges of threatening to shoot students at a Wake County elementary school.

Arthur Vladimir Kochetkov, 33, of Wake Forest, was charged Monday with five counts of second-degree sexual exploitation of a minor after images of child pornography were found on electronic devices seized from his home, according to a town of Wake Forest news release.

Kochetkov’s bond for these new sex crimes charges is $500,000, raising the total to $700,000 secured on the multiple charges.

Kochetkov has been held at the Wake County jail since he was arrested Sept. 17 on charges of communicating threats on Facebook against students at Jones Dairy Elementary School in Wake Forest and of making a false report concerning mass violence on educational property. He lives in his mother’s home, which is next to the school.

Wake Forest officials said the child porn images were downloaded from the Internet and at this time there is no evidence that any student from Jones Dairy appears in the images or that the images were taken on school property

His first court appearance on the new charges is Tuesday. Wake Forest said that additional charges may be forthcoming as the case is being investigated by multiple groups, including the State Bureau of Investigation, Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Kochetkov’s family has insisted that he is mentally ill and not a threat to others. But Kochetkov has been producing fear and worry among Jones Dairy families and staff since he was arrested in June on charges of trespassing at the school.

Since the September arrest, the Wake County school system has implemented security measures such as paying for an off-duty sheriff’s deputy to patrol the campus. Students are not allowed outside to use the playground.

Some parents showed up at last week’s meetings of the Wake County commissioners and school board to ask that the armed off duty officer be made permanent. It would be a first for an elementary school in Wake.

Parents have asked for other security measures too, including improving locks on classroom doors and adding a double-entry vestibule that’s typically installed in new schools as a security measure. The parents have threatened to withdraw their students from the school unless the security changes are made.

Part of the reason that the parents asked for the security upgrades is the fear that even if Kochetkov was convicted that he’d be released within a year. But the new felony charges filed Monday would require a longer sentence if he’s convicted.

T. Keung Hui: 919-829-4534, @nckhui
Related stories from Raleigh News & Observer

  Comments