Man fatally shot by Apex police had aimed shotgun at officers, police chief says

A man fatally shot by Apex police last week had aimed a shotgun and walked toward officers when he was shot, the town’s police chief said Monday.

Police identified the man as Stanley Edward Thompson.

Apex Police Chief John Letteney said the shooting grew out of a noise issue.

Thompson, 51, had called police Thursday night to report loud music coming from a car in a parking lot behind his home.

“They’re playing really loud music,” Thompson said in his call to police. “They’re hitting the woofer so hard it is vibrating my bedroom window.”

Later, at about 10:20 p.m., police got a call from a second man who said his 22-year-old son had just been attacked by a person who had come into his parked car near the neighborhood pool and tennis courts.

“My son was at the pool and someone just attacked him,” the caller said. “Some guy was choking him around his neck. [My son] was trying to adjust his stereo, and this guy grabbed him. He jumped in the car on top of him.”

Police did not provide their identities.

A police dog from the Wake County Sheriff’s Office, which also sent deputies to the scene, tracked the scent of the man who had committed the alleged assault to close to the entrance of Thompson’s townhome community on White Cloud Circle, Letteney said.

Officers went door to door and when they reached Thompson’s home asked him to come out, which he refused to do, Letteney said.

At 10:37 p.m. the door opened, and a man emerged, holding a shotgun with thick black smoke behind him. No one else was in the townhouse, Letteney said.

“Despite repeated commands for him to drop the weapon, he raised it up, aimed it at the officers in a threatening manner and walked towards them,” Letteney said.

Officers, including one Apex police officer, fired their weapons, striking Thompson, the chief said. He did not say how many shots were fired or how many shots struck Thompson.

Officers moved Thompson away from the fire at his door and began administering aid, but Thompson was declared dead at the scene, Letteney said.

Thompson, who had complained about noise before, did not fire his shotgun and no officers were injured, he said.

Apex does not have body cameras, the chief said, but the department will see if patrol car cameras captured the incident.

The shooting will be reviewed by the State Bureau of Investigation.

The officer, whose name was not released, has been placed on administrative duty, Letteney said.

Thursday’s shooting was the second fatal shooting by law enforcement officers in Wake County in a week.

On April 20 a Raleigh police officer fatally shot a man at a shopping center near the intersection of New Bern Avenue and North Rogers Lane.

In a five-day report, Raleigh Police Chief Cassandra Deck-Brown said Soheil Antonio Mojarrad advanced on the officer with a knife and did not heed orders to stop and drop the weapon. An attorney for Mojarrad’s family said he was shot eight times and that the majority of shots did not enter the front of his body.

Related stories from Raleigh News & Observer