Three Triangle schools scored in the top 500 in U.S. News & World Report’s list of the best U.S. public high schools in 2019, with Raleigh Charter High School topping the local ratings that were released early Tuesday.
The magazine’s annual report ranked 17,245 U.S. public high schools based on college readiness, reading and math proficiency, reading and math performance, underserved student performance, college curriculum breadth and graduation rates. The magazine revamped its methodology this year, causing the magazine to say that comparisons shouldn’t be made to rankings on prior years.
The revisions were so extensive that Academic Magnet High School in Charleston, S.C., went from tied for 43rd nationally in 2018 to the top high school in the U.S. in 2019.
Raleigh Charter was the second-highest-ranked school in North Carolina, coming in 111th nationally. Raleigh Charter was also ranked the 27th-best charter school in the nation.
Other Triangle schools that ranked in top 1,000 nationally are:
▪ Woods Charter School in Chatham County at fifth in the state and No. 142 nationally.
▪ East Chapel HIll High School at 11th in the state and No. 441 nationally.
▪ Wake STEM Early College in Raleigh at 13th in the state and No. 601 nationally.
▪ Chapel Hill High School at 18th in the state and No. 717 nationally.
▪ Franklin Academy in Wake Forest at 20th in the state and No. 762 nationally.
▪ Carrboro High School at 21st in the state and No. 768 nationally.
▪ Green Hope High School in Cary at 23rd in the state and No. 793 nationally.
▪ Wake Young Women’s Leadership Academy in Raleigh at 25th in the state and No. 811 nationally.
▪ Panther Creek High School in Cary at 29th in the state and No. 869 nationally.
▪ Durham School of the Arts at 30th in the state and No. 930 nationally.
▪ Research Triangle High School in Durham at 31st in the state and No. 999 nationally.
U.S. News has been rating high schools since 2007. RTI International, a research firm based in the Research Triangle Park, crunched the numbers for the 2019 list.
For this year, every school was given an overall score based on where they ranked in the six factors. U.S. News says it will make the list easier for people to understand. For instance, a school with a score of 70 is in the 70th percentile and ranks higher than 70 percent of schools on the list.
Read the full report at https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools.