Monroe mayor with big social media following won’t seek 2nd term, teases ‘big news’
AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.
- Monroe Mayor Robert Burns will finish term through 2026 and not seek reelection.
- Burns endorsed Council Member David Dotson and teased future political plans.
- His tenure sparked controversy, council censure and calls for removal by NAACP.
Monroe Mayor Robert Burns announced Monday he won’t seek reelection and is endorsing council member David Dotson to succeed him.
Burns, who announced his decision in a social media livestream, told The Charlotte Observer he feels called to change directions but will continue serving through 2026. Stopping just short of confirming plans to run for another office in the future, Burns teased “big news,” for his future.
“I’m not going away,” he said. “Stay tuned.”
Burns has served as mayor since 2023 when he won the election on a coin flip after Burns and his opponent both received 970 votes. While many North Carolina municipalities will hold elections in November, Burns’ term was extended by a year under House Bill 3, a state law passed last year that made Monroe’s municipal elections partisan and moved them to even-numbered years.
During his time in office, Burns has built an outsized social media following for a small city mayor and generated both controversy and support for his conservative views. Burns has about 4,000 followers on Facebook and 9,000 on X.
The Union County NAACP has called for his removal, accusing him of using his official platform to target private citizens after the death of conservative activist Charlie Kirk. The city council also voted “no confidence” in his leadership in July due to his alleged involvement in House Bill 3, and previously censured him in 2024 after he issued a proclamation celebrating the reversal of Roe v. Wade.
Burns told the Observer he’s proud of helping shift Monroe’s image into what he described as a more “family-friendly” city with a thriving downtown and growing interest from companies looking to locate in Monroe. Burns said Monroe was recently ranked among North Carolina’s top 10 cities for small businesses by B2B Reviews.
“Unlike many other municipalities, Monroe has successfully achieved sustainable growth,” Burns said in a news release. “Monroe has become a model for the rest of the state economically and civically, and I look forward to serving the rest of my term to make Monroe even stronger.”
Dotson, Burns’ preferred successor, said he plans to focus his campaign on public safety, infrastructure and preserving Monroe’s “hometown feel.” A Marine veteran and longtime law-enforcement officer, Dotson said his leadership style will differ from Burns’ — particularly in how he communicates with residents.
“He is very modern in the way that he uses his social media. Mayor Burns has a huge platform, and I respect that,” Dotson said about the outgoing mayor. “My way of communicating is really more person to person.”
Burns said he plans to make an announcement in the future about his next steps.
“I now feel a calling to change direction in my service to this city and state,” he said.
This story was originally published October 27, 2025 at 11:30 AM with the headline "Monroe mayor with big social media following won’t seek 2nd term, teases ‘big news’."