Local

Durham’s ‘deadliest’ one-way streets are changing — here’s what’s coming

Durham has secured enough funding to begin the Roxboro Street and Mangum Street design project.
Durham has secured enough funding to begin the Roxboro Street and Mangum Street design project. City of Durham

Durham is moving forward with transforming the city’s traffic patterns by converting Roxboro and Mangum streets into two-way thoroughfares.

Residents have raised concerns for years about speeding and deadly traffic collisions in the north-south corridors, calling them the most dangerous streets in Durham.

“It’s just one of those areas where maybe the cost of maintenance and the cost of implementation can be high but the cost of a person’s life is much higher,” said Gregory Williams, an organizer with Bike Durham, at a Monday meeting. “Everything we can do to make sure that those corridors are safe for our pedestrians and families who are moving through them would be fantastic.”

The two-way street conversion, between Markham Avenue in the north and Lakewood Avenue in the south, will slow traffic, reduce crashes and provide a safer environment for residents to walk, bike and use other modes of transportation besides a car.

The City of Durham is converting Roxboro and Mangum streets into two-way thoroughfares between Markham and Lakewood avenues.
The City of Durham is converting Roxboro and Mangum streets into two-way thoroughfares between Markham and Lakewood avenues. City of Durham

What is planned for the conversion

The City Council voted unanimously to amend a contract with engineering firm Stantec Consulting Services, bringing the local design costs to roughly $1.6 million. The project could be completed by January 2028.

Roxboro and Mangum streets are maintained by the N.C. Department of Transportation. Because of that, the state will need to approve the city’s proposed changes. The new amendment adds tasks so Stantec can produce final plans for bidding and construction, as required by the state.

Those tasks include:

  • Signals: Updating signal plans and electrical programming for 22 traffic signals along the corridors.
  • Signage: Installing temporary signs like “look both ways” reminders for pedestrians and high-visibility messaging for motorists.
  • Infrastructure: Reviewing clearance at the Roxboro railroad bridge and Ramseur Street bridge to ensure safe vehicle passage.
  • Hydraulics and Erosion: Designing ditches, storm drainage systems, and sediment control measures to limit environmental impact during construction.

Next steps

The city is engaging residents through public workshops, bilingual accessibility, and neighborhood meetings.

Roxboro and Mangum streets are currently a one-way pair system that connects traffic between N.C. 147 (the Durham Freeway) and the downtown area to Interstate 85 and north Durham. The system was implemented in 1959, according to the city’s website, to carry traffic quickly through the city.

Officials said the shift has been “hard fought,” and is important for the city’s long-term transportation priorities.

“I recall last year, even in the budget process, there was conversation to make sure we had funding in the budget to make this happen,” Councilman Carl Rist said Monday. “This will be the kind of thing people talk about nationwide, about transforming these two-way highways into really traffic-calming city streets. I’m so excited about this.”

This story was originally published May 21, 2026 at 3:11 PM.

Kristen Johnson
The News & Observer
Kristen Johnson is a local government reporter covering Durham for The News & Observer. She previously covered Cary and western Wake County. Prior to coming home to the Triangle, she reported for The Fayetteville Observer and spent time covering politics and culture in Washington, D.C. She is an alumna of UNC at Charlotte and American University. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER