Man killed south of downtown Durham is city’s 2nd homicide in less than 24 hours
AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.
- Man shot on South Roxboro Street taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries, died.
- Police have not identified the victim or a suspect; investigation remains active.
- Durham shootings down to 43 in 2026 (from 68 in 2025); CrimeStoppers offers up to $2,000.
A man was shot and killed south of downtown Thursday afternoon, the Durham Police Department said. It was the second fatal shooting in the city in less than 24 hours.
The shooting occurred on the 2500 block of South Roxboro Street. Police responded at 3:11 p.m. and found a man who had been shot. He was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries and died.
As of Thursday afternoon, Durham police had not identified the victim or a suspect. The investigation remains active, police said.
Just before midnight Wednesday, 47-year-old Tavarus Joyner was found fatally shot just south of downtown, The News & Observer previously reported.
A 13-year-old was also injured in a drive-by shooting earlier Wednesday, according to ABC11, The N&O’s newsgathering partner.
As of Feb. 7, the latest police statistics available, 15 people have been shot in Durham this year, and four of them have died.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Investigator G. Silla 919-560-4440 ext. 29310. Information can also be submitted anonymously through CrimeStoppers at durhamcrimestoppers.org or by calling (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards of up to $2,000 for information leading to arrests in felony cases, and callers never have to identify themselves.