Wake County

Tree down? Road flooded? Here’s how to report it and see what spots to avoid

Rivers around New Bern, North Carolina have already started flooding

Rivers in New Bern overflow ahead of Hurricane Florence.
Up Next
Rivers in New Bern overflow ahead of Hurricane Florence.

A map of reported debris, road closures and down traffic signals has been released as Raleigh prepares for Hurricane Florence’s impact.

The map, at http://bit.ly/RaleighMap, showed a variety of street and trial closures, where debris had been reported (and whether it had been been cleared), where traffic signals had been reported not working and where other calls for service had been reported.

The map is updated as soon as a call reaches the city’s non emergency number and the information is recorded, city spokesman John Boyette said.

But that also means the city can’t verify the information until someone can be dispatched to the area. People are encouraged to remain in a safe location for the duration of the storm.

NC Governor Roy Cooper warns residents that the worst of Hurricane Florence is not yet here, especially flooding and storm surge.

If there is an emergency that is threatening your life or the lives of others, you should call 911.

If it is a non-life-threatening emergency and within the city of Raleigh, you’re encouraged to call the city at 919-996-2999. That includes to report a flooded street, a fallen tree or broken traffic signal.

Emergency communication centers can be overrun with calls during major weather events including hurricanes. Some calls, throughout the state, might be be re-routed to back-up centers, according to a news release from the NC 911 Board.

Wake County residents who have non-emergency questions or issues can call Wake County at 919-856-7036.

Follow more of our reporting on Hurricane Florence

See all 10 stories
Related stories from Raleigh News & Observer