Wake County

Raleigh leaders pick 1st Black woman to serve on the City Council

Stormie Forte is one of five finalists to fill the Raleigh City Council District D seat.
Stormie Forte is one of five finalists to fill the Raleigh City Council District D seat.

Stormie Forte, a licensed attorney and community radio host, will be the first Black woman to serve on the Raleigh City Council.

The City Council picked Forte on Tuesday afternoon out of more than 50 applicants who were elgible for the District D seat, which covers southwest Raleigh. She received six votes, while Council member David Cox voted for Carmen Cauthen.

Forte, 49, will finish the rest of former member Saige Martin’s term, which ends in 2021.

“I can honestly say I am a little emotional thinking of the historical impact of being selected,” Forte said.

“Being Black and being female and being a person within the LGBTQ community — all those things make up the person I am,” she said.

Forte, a lesbian, will continue to give the council two LGBTQ members.

In her application, she said her top three priorities for the city are affordable housing, economic-development opportunities and working with the community to address tensions between residents and the Raleigh Police Department.

“I have worked in the public, private and nonprofit sectors throughout my career,” she wrote in her application. “I believe I am uniquely qualified to serve on the Council and would bring a diversity of perspective from my life and employment experiences.”

She has consulted on political campaigns in the past, but never planned to run for political office, she said.

“A part of me felt like why not?,” Forte said. “There are a lot of issues that are important to me not just in District D but as it relates to the city of Raleigh overall.”

Forte participated in a candidates forum Sunday with four other finalists that addressed COVID-19, affordable housing and police relations.

In addition to Cauthen, the other finalists were Jane Harrison, Todd Kennedy and Jennifer KP Truman.

The City Council members were all sent an email with the 54 eligible applicants and told to select their top pick. A candidate only needed five votes to be appointed, and the council only went through one round of balloting.

“After careful consideration of all the applicants, Stormie Forte stood out because of her experience as an attorney, her work in the criminal justice system, her understanding of government and her community involvement,” said Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin. “She will also bring a unique and needed perspective as an African-American woman and as a member of our LGBT community.”

“She is the right person at this time,” she said.

On Facebook after the meeting, Cox said he voted for Cauthen because she offered “a wealth of experience through her lifetime of commitment and service to the community.”

“Nevertheless, I congratulate Ms. Forte on her appointment and I look forward to working with her,” he said.

Martin was elected to the seat in 2019 but resigned after The News & Observer published a detailed account of four men who accused Martin of sexual misconduct, which Martin mostly denies. Two of the men accused Martin of sexual assault, which he denies.

Listen to our daily briefing:

This story was originally published July 14, 2020 at 4:12 PM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Anna Roman
The News & Observer
Anna Roman is a service journalism reporter for the News & Observer. She has previously covered city government, crime and business for newspapers across North Carolina and received many North Carolina Press Association awards, including first place for investigative reporting. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER