Wake County

Raleigh tried to rein in Glenwood South nightlife. Judge says rules were illegal.

Key Takeaways
Key Takeaways

AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.

Read our AI Policy.


  • Wake County judge ruled parts of Raleigh's nightlife ordinance unenforceable.
  • Raleigh began adjusting policies but has not disclosed refund plans or details.
  • Bar owners sued Raleigh in 2024, citing conflict with state alcohol regulations.

As Raleigh grapples with a growing nightlife area, a judge has dealt a victory to bar and nightclub owners.

Wake County Superior Court Judge Paul Holcombe ruled this month that parts of the city’s nightlife ordinance are “illegal, void and unenforceable” under state law.

Raleigh “has taken steps necessary to comply with the court’s orders” while it considers its options, said Julia Milstead, public information officer for the city.

The city would not say what those steps are or if businesses that paid fees for permits and permit renewals under the nightlife ordinance would get a refund.

Raleigh’s nightlife ordinance, meant to address neighbors’ concerns, is more restrictive than what the Alcohol Beverage Control System allows under state law, according to the judge’s ruling.

The bar owners, including Dan Lovenheim who owns several bars and clubs in the Glenwood South area,sued the city in February 2024, calling the ordinance “illegal and unenforceable.”

As of Thursday, Lovenheim had not responded to a phone call from The News & Observer seeking comment.

Raleigh’s nightlife permit rules

The Raleigh City Council adopted the nightlife ordinance in December 2023, after a wave of complaints about crime and public safety in the Glenwood South area.

Businesses considered bars, taverns and nightclubs and that sold alcohol and had live or recorded music after 11 p.m. were required to get a nightlife permit from the city.

The rules also required bars to pay a fee, install safety improvements like shunt trip breakers, provide lighting in off-street parking areas and provide security personnel.

Violations of the ordinance carried a $500 penalty and then $2,500 for a second offense in a 12-month period.

The judge ruled those regulations were more restrictive than what state law allows.

Raleigh commissioned a report earlier this year that found a “notable level of mistrust” between the city and nightlife venues dating back to the early days of the COVID-19 epidemic when many businesses had to close.

Business owners also wanted the city to recognize “that night life and the social economy here is vital and important and not a nuisance to just manage, but to support because of value it brings to your city,” Jocelyn Kane, senior consultant for Responsible Hospitality Institute, told city leaders when the report came out this spring.

The city is again considering changing its noise ordinance, which was last changed when the city implemented its nightlife ordinance.

To help the city revise the noise ordinance, people can fill out a survey about their noise concerns at engage.raleighnc.gov.

This story was originally published August 15, 2025 at 5:45 AM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Anna Roman
The News & Observer
Anna Roman is a service journalism reporter for the News & Observer. She has previously covered city government, crime and business for newspapers across North Carolina and received many North Carolina Press Association awards, including first place for investigative reporting. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER