Greensboro teen charged with fatal shooting of Raleigh high school student
Greensboro police have arrested a teen in the fatal shooting of a 15-year-old Raleigh boy last month.
Julius Jurrell Burley, 18, was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Christian Anthony Jamal O’Neal, the Greensboro Police Department announced Monday.
Police responded Nov. 12 to a reported shooting on Central Avenue in east Greensboro, where they found O’Neal dead.
O’Neal, a Millbrook High School sophomore, had been staying in Greensboro for a few weeks at the time, police said previously.
O’Neal wore the number 33 as a wide receiver and linebacker for the junior varsity team at one point, according to the school.
“Everybody is like, ‘what in the world?” Matilda Perry, O’Neal’s cousin, previously told The News & Observer. “They can’t believe it because Chris don’t bother nobody.”
Perry described O’Neal as a respectful, shy teen.
“He has always been mellow and kind of [kept] to himself,” she said.
BEHIND THE STORY
MOREThis is a breaking news story
In a breaking news situation, facts may be unclear and details may change as the story develops. Our reporters are working to get information as quickly and accurately as possible. This story may be updated as more information becomes available. Refresh this page for the most up-to-date report.
This story was originally published December 14, 2021 at 12:11 PM.