14-year-old in custody after bringing loaded gun to Durham high school
The Durham County Sheriff’s Office said Monday the gun a 14-year-old brought to a Durham high school last week was loaded.
Jordan High School was locked down Friday afternoon while authorities searched for the firearm, after a school resource officer received a tip. the Sheriff’s Office said.
On Monday, the Sheriff’s Office confirmed the weapon in this incident was a loaded handgun stored in a bag the student was carrying.
Authorities obtained a juvenile petition, the equivalent of an arrest in the juvenile justice system, and took the student into custody on Friday, a news release said.
The Sheriff’s Office has not said how the boy got the gun.
The incident occurred the day after a juvenile brought an AR-15 rifle to a basketball game at Millbrook High School in Raleigh.
Millbrook and Jordan faced each other at Saturday’s playoff game, and extra security measures was in place at Millbrook, The News & Observer reported.
Earlier this month, two students at Durham’s Hillside High School were shot near campus, with one of them dying from his injuries. The day after, the school was placed on “secure status” while investigators looked for weapons but did not find any nearby.
A suspect or suspects have not been identified in the Hillside High shooting.
This story was originally published February 24, 2023 at 5:09 PM.