Crime

Durham man killed in overnight shooting

News & Observer breaking photos featuring police lights
Police said the Saturday morning shooting “appears to be an isolated incident” as they continue to investigate.

A shooting early Saturday morning killed a 30-year-old Durham man.

No suspects are in custody in the death of Aaron Parker, Durham police said in a news release. They said the shooting “appears to be an isolated incident” as they continue to investigate.

Police said its officers responded about 1:38 a.m. to the 2200 block of NC Highway 54, where witnesses told them a man had been shot and taken away in a vehicle. A person in the vehicle also called 911, police said in the news release.

Parker made it to the hospital, where he and others in the vehicle met officers. He died of his injuries at the hospital.

Police have not stated how many witnesses were with Parker when he was shot or why they chose to drive him to the hospital rather than wait for first responders.

It’s the same block of the highway where a man was shot and killed in July. Johnny Lloyd Banks Jr., 55, of Raleigh died around 7 a.m. in a strip mall, police said at the time.

Durham saw 34 criminal homicides this year through Sept. 9, according to police data. In a similar period last year, there were 29 homicides.

Also as of Sept. 9, 144 people have been shot in Durham this year, 30 of them fatally, according to police data.

Police are asking the public for help investigating the latest shooting. To provide information, call investigator A. Ramos at 919-560-4440 ext. 29245 or 919-943-0972. You can also call (919) 683-1200 to reach CrimeStoppers, which does not require callers to identify themselves, and pays cash rewards of up to $2,000 for information leading to felony arrests.

BEHIND THE STORY

MORE

This is a breaking news story

In a breaking news situation, facts may be unclear and details may change as the story develops. Our reporters are working to get information as quickly and accurately as possible. This story may be updated as more information becomes available. Refresh this page for the most up-to-date report.

This story was originally published September 16, 2023 at 9:06 AM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
CH
Colleen Hammond
The News & Observer
Colleen Hammond is a graduate of Duquesne University from Ann Arbor, Michigan. She has previously covered breaking news, local government, the COVID-19 pandemic and racial issues for the Pittsburgh City Paper and Pittsburgh Tribune Review.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER