Crime

15-year-old injured in midday shooting near downtown Raleigh school. Here’s what we know

A 15-year-old boy is in critical condition after a shooting near Moore Square Park Monday that sent nearby Moore Square Magnet Middle School into a brief Code Red lockdown.

The Raleigh Police Department responded to a shooting in the 300 block of South Person Street in downtown Raleigh at 2:45 p.m.

Police said they Monday afternoon that they had arrested a suspect. Monday night, police identified him as Steven Mark Stanley II, 22. He is charged with assault with a dangerous weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and possession of a firearm by a felon.

Police didn’t identify the teen due to his age and did not say whether Stanley and the teen knew each other. They did not provide details about the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

The shooting did not occur on school property but happened close by, a Wake County Public School System spokesperson said.

Officers were still on the scene investigating Monday afternoon, police said in a statement to The News & Observer.

Law enforcement work near the scene of a shooting on Martin Street in Raleigh, N.C. on Monday, Oct. 23, 2023.
Law enforcement work near the scene of a shooting on Martin Street in Raleigh, N.C. on Monday, Oct. 23, 2023. Kaitlin McKeown kmckeown@newsobserver.com

The focus of the investigation was in the area of South Bloodworth Street and South Person Street, a block to the east of Moore Square.

RPD had more than a dozen police cars in the area, and fire engines and ambulances were also on the scene, according to ABC11, The N&O’s newsgathering partner.

Several gunshots were heard in the area, witnesses told ABC11.

Law enforcement work near the scene of a shooting near Moore Square Magnet Middle School on Monday, Oct. 23, 2023, in Raleigh, N.C.
Law enforcement work near the scene of a shooting near Moore Square Magnet Middle School on Monday, Oct. 23, 2023, in Raleigh, N.C. Kaitlin McKeown kmckeown@newsobserver.com

The school went into lockdown shortly before 3 p.m., when police responded to the area. The Code Red lasted seven minutes, from 2:52 to 2:59 p.m., and was lifted under the direction of law enforcement, according to police.

Students at Moore Square Magnet Middle School were dismissed at their normal time of 2:15 p.m.

Police ask anyone with information to call Crimestoppers at www.p3tips.com/89 or 919-996-1193. Tips can be made anonymously.

Law enforcement work near the scene of shooting at the intersection of Martin and Bloodworth Streets in Raleigh, N.C. on Monday, Oct. 23, 2023.
Law enforcement work near the scene of shooting at the intersection of Martin and Bloodworth Streets in Raleigh, N.C. on Monday, Oct. 23, 2023. Kaitlin McKeown kmckeown@newsobserver.com

This story was originally published October 23, 2023 at 4:44 PM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Aaron Sánchez-Guerra
The News & Observer
Aaron Sánchez-Guerra is a breaking news reporter for The News & Observer and previously covered business and real estate for the paper. His background includes reporting for WLRN Public Media in Miami and as a freelance journalist in Raleigh and Charlotte covering Latino communities. He is a graduate of North Carolina State University, a native Spanish speaker and was born in Mexico. You can follow his work on Twitter at @aaronsguerra.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER