Henderson man faces charges in fatal Durham shooting. What police say happened
Court documents shed light on a fatal Durham shooting after a Vance County man was arrested Thursday in the killing.
Dmario Nashaun Person, 21, of Henderson is charged with murder, two counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon and two counts of felony conspiracy in the March 2 death of Ottoniel Lopez-Diaz, 48, of Durham, according to his arrest warrant.
Lopez-Diaz was found fatally wounded just before 10 p.m. on East Umstead Street, The News & Observer previously reported. Another man suffered non-life-threatening injuries. A police spokesperson told The N&O on Friday that he was hit on the head with a pistol.
That victim was Lopez-Diaz’s son, the spokesperson said. His name was not released.
Now, Person’s arrest warrant indicates Lopez-Diaz may have been shot during a robbery gone wrong.
Person is accused of stealing $298 from one man and an iPhone and wallet from a second man by threatening them with a rifle and handguns, the warrant states. Police also say he plotted with three other men to carry out the theft, according to the warrant.
The N&O is not naming the alleged coconspirators because they had not been arrested as of Friday morning.
Though Lopez-Diaz isn’t named as a robbery victim on Person’s arrest warrant, the robbery and murder charges are all on the same warrant, indicating they are related.
Person remained in the Durham County jail Friday morning without bail.