East Cary Middle School had extra security on campus Friday after a student brought bullet casings to school on Thursday and showed them to two other students.
“Upon further investigation, we discovered the students involved also had a posted a video on social media of them discharging a weapon off-campus earlier this week,” East Cary principal Nikia Davis said in a post Thursday on the school’s website.
But investigators, including school security and law enforcement, found no threat to students, Davis said. “At no point during the investigation did we determine that this weapon had been on the East Cary Middle School campus,” she said. “At no point was a threat made toward anyone at East Cary Middle School.”
“However, I want to make clear that bringing a weapon or ammunition to school is dangerous and unacceptable,” Davis added. “Any student found in possession of a weapon, ammunition or a facsimile of a weapon on school grounds – or on one of our buses – will be disciplined in accordance with district policies.”
Under Wake school policy, a student who brings ammunition to school can face a suspension of more than 10 days, though the principal may impose a short-term suspension or no suspension at all based on mitigating factors.
On Friday, spokeswoman Lisa Luten said the school system considered the incident a Level III offense, which can result in a long-term suspension.
Davis called Friday’s extra security a precaution designed to “reduce concerns and to provide overall safety to our school.”
“We are grateful for the students who reported this serious matter to school officials,” she said. “Please talk with your student about the importance of keeping weapons out of our school and encourage them to report any weapons they see to a teacher or administrator.
“Know that we will continue to take every measure to ensure the safety of our students.”
Scott Bolejack: 919-829-4629, @ScottBolejack