Both the Wake County, Durham and Chapel Hill-Carrboro school systems announced that schools will reopen Tuesday after having been closed for three days due to Hurricane Florence.
School officials in Durham and Orange counties announced that schools will open Tuesday on a two-hour delay. The delayed opening comes after both school districts opened on a normal schedule Monday and issued apologies for the safety issues students experienced traveling to school.
Schools will also be on a two-hour delay in Chapel Hill-Carrboro but will be on a normal schedule in Wake. In Chapel Hill, school leaders had announced early Monday morning that schools would reopen on a two-hour delay before 90 minutes later saying they’d remain closed.
Schools in Wake had remained closed Monday after school officials said 60 to 80 schools across the county still had issues, including power outages, flooding and trees down on their campuses.
Schools in Johnston and Chatham counties will remain closed Tuesday.
The news of school reopening came with word that Wake school leaders were dropping previously announced makeup days for traditional-calendar schools that included a Saturday in October and the day before Thanksgiving. Parents, students and staff complained that having classes both days would be a hardship.
Wake is converting early release days on Sept. 28 and Oct. 19 — when students would go home 2.5 hours early — into full days of classes to make up one day. Wake is also taking advantage of how it has more hours built in than required by state law to not make up one of the lost days.
The new set of makeup days for Wake County students are:
▪ Traditional calendar: Sept. 28 (full day), Oct. 19 (full day) and Oct. 31.
▪ Year-round calendar track 1: Oct. 19 (full day).
▪ Year-round calendar tracks 2 and 3: Sept. 22, Sept. 28 (full day) and Oct. 19 (full day).
▪ Year-round calendar tracks 4: Sept. 22 and Sept. 28 (full day).
▪ Modified calendar: Sept. 24-25.
▪ Wake Young Men’s Leadership Academy and Wake Young Women’s Leadership Academy: Sept. 21, Sept. 28 (full day) and Oct. 19 (full day).
▪ Vernon Malone Career and College Academy, Wake STEM Early College, Wake Early College of Health Sciences and North Wake College and Career Academy: Sept. 28 (full day), Oct. 4 and Oct. 19 (full day).
▪ Barwell Road and Walnut Creek elementary schools: Oct. 17 and Dec. 20.
▪ Carroll, East Garner and East Millbrook middle schools: Nov. 20 and Dec. 21.
▪ Fox Road Elementary School: Sept. 28 and Feb. 15.