Politics & Government

Campaign season starts in NC as Biden buys ads in Raleigh, Charlotte

Campaign season is upon Raleigh and Charlotte as President Joe Biden announced Wednesday his presidential campaign has launched a new ad on the areas’ cable channels and digital platforms.

The ad is also running in Orlando and Tampa, as part of a previously announced two-week purchase costing more than $1 million.

The campaign launched its first ad in battleground states that include Arizona, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan and Nevada. The new ad includes those core six states and adds Florida and North Carolina.

“The addition of NC and FL to the media buy demonstrates the Biden campaign sees many paths to 270 electoral votes,” said Kevin Munoz, spokesman for Biden’s campaign. “And that the campaign is investing early in building on Biden’s strength in the sunbelt.”

It comes just a week after Biden announced a run for a second term as president with a video detailing why he wants to serve again.

“When I ran for president four years ago, I said we’re in a battle for the soul of America,” Biden said then. “And we still are.”

The new ad’s message dovetails with the one from the first spot, which focused on what Democrats characterized as defending personal freedoms and American democracy.

The ad this week instead focuses on the economy, referencing (though not by name) Biden-backed legislation like the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law that it says helps “reward hard work.”

“Over 12 million jobs have been created,” a narrator says. “And Joe Biden’s building an economy that leaves no city, no town, no American behind.”

Biden is expected to win the Democratic presidential nomination next year with ease. So far, only two candidates — self-help guru Marianne Williamson and anti-vaccine activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. — have declared that they will run against Biden in the party’s primary. Polls show the incumbent president leading both candidates by a large margin.

North Carolina’s primary will be held on Super Tuesday, slated for March 5, 2024.

Danielle Battaglia
McClatchy DC
Danielle Battaglia is the congressional impact reporter for The News & Observer and The Charlotte Observer, leading coverage of the impact of North Carolina’s congressional delegation and the White House. Her career has spanned three North Carolina newsrooms where she has covered crime, courts and local, state and national politics. She has won two McClatchy President’s awards and numerous national and state awards for her work.
AR
Alex Roarty
McClatchy DC
Alex Roarty has written about the Democratic Party since joining McClatchy in 2017. He’s been a campaigns reporter in Washington since 2010, after covering politics and state government in Pennsylvania during former Gov. Ed Rendell’s second term.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER