Politics & Government

Over 700 NC lawyers sign letter warning of ‘unprecedented attack’ on judicial system

The letter, which is signed by several former members of the North Carolina Supreme Court, warns that due process and the rule of law are under “unprecedented attack.”
The letter, which is signed by several former members of the North Carolina Supreme Court, warns that due process and the rule of law are under “unprecedented attack.” Getty Images

Over 700 North Carolina lawyers, some of whom previously held office on the state’s highest court, signed an open letter warning that due process and the rule of law are under an “unprecedented attack” from the government.

The letter, published as an ad in the News & Observer last month, does not mention President Donald Trump by name. But it does appear to reference his administration’s targeting of law firms which have opposed him and his policies in court.

“We condemn government actions targeting law firms for representing clients in cases adverse to any administration,” the letter says. “...If lawyers are subject to government retaliation for taking cases, access to justice dies for all.”

Since taking office, Trump has issued a series of executive orders targeting law firms and specific attorneys that have challenged him in the past.

The orders have revoked lawyers’ security clearances, restricted their access to government buildings, canceled government contracts and more. Some firms have responded by suing the administration, while others have reached deals by promising free legal work to Trump.

The letter also notes that judges have faced increasing attacks over their rulings, noting that almost 200 federal judges have received death threats in 2025 alone.

Trump has frequently railed against judges who have ruled against him and has supported legislation to restrict the ability of federal courts to block his policies.

“When any judge rules against any politician, that politician should pursue appropriate appeals, not attack the judge personally,” the letter says. “The law must be above politics.”

Several former justices on the state Supreme Court signed on to the letter, including Cheri Beasley, Robert Orr, Sam J. Ervin IV and Burley Mitchell.

David Teddy, a longtime attorney with a firm based in Shelby, was the primary organizer behind the letter, which continues to add signatures.

Teddy is a registered Democrat, but he told The N&O that the message is not partisan. Rather, it is about the integrity of the judicial system, he said.

“Lawyers care about due process for people that want to access the court system,” Teddy said. “...And we think that people deserve the right to zealous advocacy in a courtroom, and who you represent should not be attacked by any administration — whether it’s Republican or Democrat.”

This story was originally published October 3, 2025 at 3:07 PM.

Kyle Ingram
The News & Observer
Kyle Ingram is the Democracy Reporter for the News & Observer. He reports on voting rights, election administration, the state judicial branch and more. He is a graduate of the Hussman School of Journalism and Media at UNC-Chapel Hill. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER