A recent report of more pedestrians being struck by vehicles (“Walking gets deadlier” March 8) suggest that this is a good time to remind people about pedestrian safety tips.
As a walker and a runner, I’ve avoided being hit by following the N.C. Driver’s Manual’s advice to pedestrians:
▪ If there is no sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic
▪ Wear or carry something white – do not assume that drivers can see you
▪ Do everything you can to make yourself visible to drivers
▪ Be ready to move out of the way in case a driver cannot see you
▪ At night, remember that it is more difficult for drivers to see you – use a flashlight.