Report: Giannis Has 'Made It Clear' He's Leaving Milwaukee
NBA fans have been patiently waiting for a Giannis Antetokounmpo trade for roughly a year. Although a deal hasn't been finalized, the Milwaukee Bucks may finally move on from the face of the franchise.
Antetokounmpo has been the heart and soul of the Bucks for over a decade, leading the franchise to a title during the 2020-21 season and earning All-NBA honors a whopping nine times. He played at an elite level when he was available this season, averaging 27.6 points and 9.8 rebounds per game.
The NBA investigated the Bucks last month because Antetokounmpo was shut down in mid-March. The team said he was dealing with a hyperextended knee, but the 10-time All-Star said he was healthy enough to return. Most fans assumed the Greek Freak was shut down since he could be traded this offseason.
Speaking of Antetokounmpo's future with the Bucks, it sounds like a trade is on the horizon. ESPN's Shams Charania reported Wednesday that Antetokounmpo is ready to leave Milwaukee.
"Giannis' situation has been playing out for 12 months. The Milwaukee Bucks are officially open for business. They're getting teams' best offers between now and the NBA Draft," Charania said. "Giannis, for a period of months, has made it clear to the Bucks that he believes the time has come for both sides to part ways."
The Bucks only have Antetokounmpo under team control for the 2026-27 season. He has a $62.7 million player option for the following season, but we'd have to imagine he'd decline it.
Where could Giannis end up?
The Golden State Warriors and Miami Heat have been mentioned as trade suitors for Antetokounmpo plenty of times over the past 12 months. They're not the only teams linked to the two-time MVP though.
After blowing a 3-1 series lead in the opening round of the playoffs, the Boston Celtics were thrown out there as a potential player in these sweepstakes.
"Acquiring Antetokounmpo would almost certainly come at the cost of Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum and would continue Boston's significant roster reshuffle that began in the 2025 offseason," ESPN's Bobby Marks wrote. "Brown is extension-eligible starting July 26 and has three seasons remaining. His salary next season is $57.1 million. Tatum has four years left on his contract and makes the identical salary as Antetokounmpo."
It'll be fascinating to see how this situation plays out.
Copyright The Arena Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved
This story was originally published May 20, 2026 at 3:56 PM.