Duke

Duke vs Pittsburgh basketball game postponed due to COVID-19

Duke’s basketball game with Pittsburgh, scheduled for Tuesday night at Cameron Indoor Stadium, has been postponed due to COVID-19 issues within the Panthers’ program.

The postponement was made Monday afternoon when testing revealed a positive COVID-19 case at Pitt.

The school announced Dec. 19 that Panthers coach Jeff Capel tested positive for COVID-19. He didn’t coach when Louisville beat Pitt 64-54 on Dec. 22 but was prepared to travel to Durham for Tuesday’s game.

The game with Pittsburgh was scheduled to be No. 20 Duke’s first game since beating Notre Dame, 75-65, on Dec. 16. The Blue Devils (3-2, 1-0 ACC) are next scheduled to play Saturday at Florida State.

Speaking to reporters on a Zoom call prior to the postponement, Capel described his experience with the virus as “tough.” He said was thankful to not require hospitalization but said he was “close” to being sick enough to require that.

“It was tough,” Capel said. “I had symptoms and it was difficult. It was difficult dealing with the symptoms. The isolation was hard. I have a better understanding now why solitary confinement is a form of punishment.”

Earlier this month, Capel openly questioned why games were proceeding when the infections, hospitalization and death numbers for the pandemic are as bad as they’ve been, according to state and federal health officials.

“These kids are away (from their families), and they’re out, and they’re laying it on the line to entertain people,” Capel said Dec. 7. “Something just doesn’t feel right about it right now. The numbers were what they were back in March. I look at it every day, man. It seems like every day it’s getting worse. I don’t know why you cancel (post-season play) in March, but you say it’s OK to do it right now. But what do I know?”

Capel played at Duke in the 1990s and was an assistant under coach Mike Krzyzewski from 2011-18.

Ethan Hyman ehyman@newsobserver.com

After Capel made those comments about the pandemic, Krzyzewski was asked about them the following night. He said he didn’t think playing “felt right to anybody” because the NCAA was “just plowing through this” to get games in to get ready for the NCAA tournament in March.

“I know the NCAA is worried about the end game,” Krzyzewski said. “They’re not as worried about the game we’re playing right now.”

This story was originally published December 28, 2020 at 3:36 PM.

Steve Wiseman
The News & Observer
Steve Wiseman was named Raleigh News & Observer and Durham Herald-Sun sports editor in May 2025. He covered Duke athletics, beginning in 2010, prior to his current assignment. In the Associated Press Sports Editors national contest, he placed in the top 10 in beat writing in 2019, 2021 and 2022, breaking news in 2019, event coverage in 2025 and explanatory writing in 2018. Before coming to Durham in 2010, Steve worked for The State (Columbia, SC), Herald-Journal (Spartanburg, S.C.), The Sun Herald (Biloxi, Miss.), Charlotte Observer and Hickory (NC) Daily Record covering beats including the NFL’s Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints, University of South Carolina athletics and the S.C. General Assembly. He’s won numerous state-level press association awards. Steve graduated from Illinois State University in 1989. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER