Duke

Duke basketball star putting the NBA on hold, setting Blue Devils up for big season

Duke’s Kyle Filipowski (30) celebrates slamming in two during the second half of Duke’s game against Virginia in the finals of the ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday, March 11, 2023.
Duke’s Kyle Filipowski (30) celebrates slamming in two during the second half of Duke’s game against Virginia in the finals of the ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Saturday, March 11, 2023. ehyman@newsobserver.com

The final player from the Duke’s ACC championship team with a stay-or-go pro decision has made his choice public.

Kyle Filipowski, the 7-foot freshman who led the Blue Devils in scoring and rebounding last season, will stay in school for his sophomore season, putting a professional career on hold for at least another year.

“When I committed here, I said I wanted to help continue the Duke legacy,” Filipowski said in a video posted on social media. “I said I wanted to help coach (Jon) Scheyer build the foundation. I said I wanted to leave a legacy of my own. I meant what I said. Same dynasty. New legacy.”

Filipowski averaged 15.1 points and 8.9 rebounds for Duke’s 29-7 team that won the ACC tournament before losing to Tennessee in the NCAA Tournament’s second round. He won the Everett Case Award as the ACC tournament’s most outstanding player.

Despite many mock drafts listing Filipowski as a first-round pick in the June NBA Draft, he said Tuesday that staying at Duke is his best choice. That’s in line with how he’s talked about his Duke experience.

In an interview with the News & Observer last month prior to the ACC tournament, Filipowski was effusive when talking about how much he enjoyed playing at Duke.

Duke’s Kyle Filipowski (30) reacts after he made the baske while being fouled during Duke’s 96-69 victory over Pitt in the quarterfinals of the ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Thursday, March 9, 2023.
Duke’s Kyle Filipowski (30) reacts after he made the baske while being fouled during Duke’s 96-69 victory over Pitt in the quarterfinals of the ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Thursday, March 9, 2023. Ethan Hyman ehyman@newsobserver.com

“I think I’ve definitely seen how much I’ve grown as a person and as a teammate, and found who I am by being here,” Filipowski said last month. “I think that’s exactly what I wanted when I was deciding where to pick a school. I got that here. There have been so many times this year where I’ve just said to myself, `Man, I’m so happy I picked Duke’. I’m so happy I made this choice. This was the right choice for me.”

And now he’s made the choice to stay at Duke again, with a chance to further improve his game to make him an even better NBA prospect for the 2024 draft.

Duke head coach Jon Scheyer talks with Kyle Filipowski (30) during the second half of Duke’s 75-73 victory over Wake Forest at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C., Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2023.
Duke head coach Jon Scheyer talks with Kyle Filipowski (30) during the second half of Duke’s 75-73 victory over Wake Forest at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C., Tuesday, Jan. 31, 2023. Ethan Hyman ehyman@newsobserver.com

Though he made just 28.2% of his 3-pointers with Duke, Filipowski showed the ability to score at all three levels — in the lane, from the mid-range and behind the 3-point line. He made 50.5% of his shot attempts inside the 3-point line. Another season gives him a chance to improve his 3-point shooting.

Duke’s Kyle Filipowski (30) reacts after sinking a there point basket to give the Blue Devils a 58-52 lead in the second half against Miami during in the semi-finals of the ACC Tournament on Friday, March 10, 2023 at the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, N.C. Filipowski lead Duke with 17 points in their 85-78 victory.
Duke’s Kyle Filipowski (30) reacts after sinking a there point basket to give the Blue Devils a 58-52 lead in the second half against Miami during in the semi-finals of the ACC Tournament on Friday, March 10, 2023 at the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, N.C. Filipowski lead Duke with 17 points in their 85-78 victory. Robert Willett rwillett@newsobserver.com

Filipowski joins two other Duke freshmen starters, 6-5 guard Tyrese Proctor and 6-8 forward Mark Mitchell, in announcing plans to play another season for the Blue Devils. A fourth starter, 6-2 junior guard Jeremy Roach, declared for the NBA Draft on Monday but has the option of returning for his senior season.

Two Duke freshman from last season’s team, 7-1 center Dereck Lively and 6-7 forward Dariq Whitehead, have already declared for the NBA Draft with no option to return.

Duke is actively pursing a veteran big man through the transfer portal. Kadin Shedrick, the 6-11 center from Holly Springs who played at Virginia the last three seasons, visited campus last weekend. According to a report by On.3.com, Duke is among five finalists to land Shedrick along with Texas, Xavier, Missouri and Kansas State.

Duke’s coaching staff had interest in 7-1 Kel’el Ware before he announced Monday that he would attend Indiana after playing last season at Oregon.

The Blue Devils have a four-man incoming recruiting class that is rated No. 2 in the country. It currently includes two 6-8 forwards — Sean Stewart and TJ Power — along with 6-5 guard Caleb Foster and 6-2 guard Jared McCain.

A third 6-8 forward, Mackenzie Mgbako, signed with Duke last November. But, not long after Filipowski’s decision to return on Tuesday, Mgbako asked for and was granted a release from his national letter of intent so he could play elsewhere.

That leaves Duke with one scholarship available to add one more player to next season’s roster, either as a transfer or another incoming freshman.

As for Filipowski, after helping the Blue Devils go 16-0 at Cameron Indoor Stadium as a freshman, he’s ready to extend that home court winning streak come November.

“Playing in Cameron was so fun that I have to do it again,” Filipowski said. “I couldn’t really imagine only having one year in Cameron. There’s no place like it in collegiate basketball or the pros to be honest.”

Read Next

This story was originally published April 11, 2023 at 10:02 AM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Steve Wiseman
The News & Observer
Steve Wiseman was named Raleigh News & Observer and Durham Herald-Sun sports editor in May 2025. He covered Duke athletics, beginning in 2010, prior to his current assignment. In the Associated Press Sports Editors national contest, he placed in the top 10 in beat writing in 2019, 2021 and 2022, breaking news in 2019, event coverage in 2025 and explanatory writing in 2018. Before coming to Durham in 2010, Steve worked for The State (Columbia, SC), Herald-Journal (Spartanburg, S.C.), The Sun Herald (Biloxi, Miss.), Charlotte Observer and Hickory (NC) Daily Record covering beats including the NFL’s Carolina Panthers and New Orleans Saints, University of South Carolina athletics and the S.C. General Assembly. He’s won numerous state-level press association awards. Steve graduated from Illinois State University in 1989. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER