North Carolina

UNC basketball big man Armando Bacot planning to run it back with Tar Heels ... again

North Carolina’s Armando Bacot (5) celebrates after making the basket while being fouled during the first half of UNC’s game against Boston College in the second round of the New York Life ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Wednesday, March 8, 2023.
North Carolina’s Armando Bacot (5) celebrates after making the basket while being fouled during the first half of UNC’s game against Boston College in the second round of the New York Life ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament in Greensboro, N.C., Wednesday, March 8, 2023. ehyman@newsobserver.com

Armando Bacot will take advantage of a fifth year of eligibility and return to North Carolina next season, he told the media outlet Stadium on Wednesday.

Bacot completed his fourth season and became the Tar Heels’ all-time leader in rebounds and double-doubles. However, the NCAA granted a waiver for participants of the 2020-21 season that was ravaged by COVID-19 to receive an additional year if they chose.

“I’m using my last year of eligibility,” Bacot told Stadium. “I felt it was the right decision for my future.”

Bacot led the team in rebounding averaging 10.4 per game and finished the season third in scoring at 15.9 points per game. He was also named third team Associated Press All-American.

On Friday, North Carolina guard R.J. Davis announced on Twitter he’s a “Tar Heel for life,” and will return to UNC for his senior season. The 6-foot guard from White Plains, N.Y. and Bacot have been staples in the lineup the better part of three seasons.

Their returns counter the news of four Tar Heels who have entered the transfer portal since the season ended with an ACC tournament loss to Virginia. Puff Johnson became the latest to reveal he was leaving Chapel Hill on Wednesday, joining Tyler Nickel, Dontrez Styles and Justin McKoy.

Read Next
Read Next

This story was originally published March 22, 2023 at 3:10 PM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
C.L. Brown
The News & Observer
C.L. Brown covers the University of North Carolina for The News & Observer. Brown brings more than two decades of reporting experience including stints as the beat writer on Indiana University and the University of Louisville. After a long stay at the Louisville Courier-Journal, where he earned an APSE award, he’s had stops at ESPN.com, The Athletic and even tried his hand at running his own website, clbrownhoops.com.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER