North Carolina

UNC football coach Bill Belichick signs contract, putting end to speculation about future

Bill Belichick has signed his head football coaching contract at North Carolina, which will likely put an end to the enduring speculation that he might have interest in returning to the NFL before ever coaching a college game.

Belichick, who became the most accomplished head coach in NFL history during his 24 seasons with the New England Patriots, was introduced as UNC’s coach last month, on Dec. 11. He had not signed his contract, though, until Wednesday. Other parties who needed to add their signatures, including chancellor Lee Roberts and Bubba Cunningham, the athletics director, did so Thursday.

New North Carolina head football coach Bill Belichick listens to a question during a press conference announcing his hiring at the Loudermilk Center for Excellence at UNC in Chapel Hill, N.C., Thursday, Dec. 12, 2024. AD Bubba Cunningham sits to the right.
New North Carolina head football coach Bill Belichick listens to a question during a press conference announcing his hiring at the Loudermilk Center for Excellence at UNC in Chapel Hill, N.C., Thursday, Dec. 12, 2024. AD Bubba Cunningham sits to the right. Ethan Hyman ehyman@newsobserver.com

While it is not necessarily unusual throughout college athletics for coaches to delay signing their contracts, Belichick’s unsigned contract at UNC fueled rumors and speculation that he might abruptly leave UNC to accept a head coaching position in the NFL.

This, though, will put an end to all of the talk about his future. At least for now.

The terms of Belichick’s deal with UNC, announced last month after he was introduced as the Tar Heels’ head coach, include an annual salary of $10 million over five years. Only the first three of those years, though, are guaranteed. Belichick can also earn as much as $3.5 million per year in bonuses.

If Belichick were to terminate his contract before June 1, he’d owe the university $10 million. His buyout drops to $1 million if he leaves any time after June 1.

In hiring Belichick — who has never coached in any capacity in college and who will be 73 at the start of next season — UNC has made a bold and unprecedented financial commitment to its football program. In addition to Belichick’s salary, valued at $50 million over five years, the school agreed to an annual investment of more than $16 million for assistant coaches and support staff.

UNC has also committed to spend $13 million annually in revenue sharing with football players, pending the final approval later this year of the House Settlement, which for the first time will allow schools to share revenue directly with athletes.

New North Carolina head football coach Bill Belichick listens to a question during a press conference announcing his hiring at the Loudermilk Center for Excellence at UNC in Chapel Hill, N.C., Thursday, Dec. 12, 2024. UNC Chancellor Lee Roberts sits to the left and AD Bubba Cunningham sits to the right.
New North Carolina head football coach Bill Belichick listens to a question during a press conference announcing his hiring at the Loudermilk Center for Excellence at UNC in Chapel Hill, N.C., Thursday, Dec. 12, 2024. UNC Chancellor Lee Roberts sits to the left and AD Bubba Cunningham sits to the right. Ethan Hyman ehyman@newsobserver.com

Roberts after a UNC Board of Trustees meeting on Thursday said the reaction in the university community to Belichick’s hiring has “been even more overwhelmingly positive than we expected.”

“We’re just overjoyed with the hire,” he said. “It’s a new era for Tar Heel football. We’ve been playing football here since 1888 and we believe the best days are yet to come.”

He also dismissed concerns surrounding the considerable costs associated with hiring Belichick.

“We obviously wouldn’t do it if we didn’t think it was a wise investment,” Roberts said. “And it’s still early, but we couldn’t feel better about where we are with that investment.”

Staff writer Korie Dean contributed to this report.

This story was originally published January 23, 2025 at 11:26 AM.

Related Stories from Raleigh News & Observer
Andrew Carter
The News & Observer
Andrew Carter spent 10 years covering major college athletics, six of them covering the University of North Carolina for The News & Observer and The Charlotte Observer. Now he’s a member of The N&O’s and Observer’s statewide enterprise and investigative reporting team. He attended N.C. State and grew up in Raleigh dreaming of becoming a journalist.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER