Kenny Williams and Luke Maye have signed the paperwork that makes official their commitments to North Carolina, the school announced on Friday.
Maye, a 6-foot-7 forward from Huntersville, signed a National Letter of Intent and Williams, a 6-foot-4 guard from Midlothian, Va., signed a grant-in-aid agreement. Both will be freshman on the Tar Heels' 2015-16 team.
Maye committed to UNC in the fall and for a while was the Tar Heels' only commitment in the 2015 recruiting class. But last week coach Roy Williams secured a commitment from Kenny Williams, a shooting guard who had originally committed to VCU.
Kenny Williams, who is known for his shooting ability, reopened his recruitment after Shaka Smart left VCU to become the head coach at Texas. UNC had been recruiting Williams before he committed to VCU.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The News & Observer
Outside of Marcus Paige, the Tar Heels last season lacked a player who could consistently challenge a defense with his shooting ability. Williams will be expected to help address that need.
“He has a tremendous ability to shoot the ball, which will really help us,” UNC coach Roy Williams said in a statement. “The first I time I watched him play he certainly impressed me with the way he made shots, but he also took three charges and showed an outstanding all-around game.”
Maye also has a talent for shooting, which he displayed while winning the 3-point shooting contest at the Florida Classic All-Star game. He averaged 20.7 points and 15.5 rebounds per game at Hough High School in Cornelius, N.C.
Maye, whose father Mark played quarterback at UNC from 1984-87, didn't sign with UNC earlier because he was waiting to see if the school would have a scholarship for him for his freshman season. Roy Williams in a statement described Maye as “extremely loyal” for remaining committed to UNC.
“He committed last fall, but did not sign scholarship papers in the early signing period because he was willing to see if we needed that scholarship,” Williams said. “Every school in the country had the opportunity to continue to recruit him, but he remained loyal and signed his National Letter of Intent last week.
“It was one of the most pleasant recruiting experiences I have ever gone through. I was thrilled to call Luke and his parents and tell them that not only were we going to be able to pay for his education for three years, but for this coming year as well.”