UNC Now

Where former UNC guard Jalek Felton, who withdrew from the program in March, will play next

Former North Carolina guard Jalek Felton, who was suspended by the university and forced to leave campus, has decided to play professionally overseas instead of transferring schools, his attorney confirmed Friday.

Felton, 20, will play for Petrol Olimpija, a professional basketball team in Ljubljana, Slovenia, Kerry Sutton said.

Sutton said Felton’s decision came down to whether he wanted to sit out a year if he were to transfer. Felton did not, so he decided to go pro.

Felton, who is the nephew of former UNC star and NBA player Raymond Felton, played for half a season at UNC last year before he left the program after his suspension. He was a highly touted recruit and was expected to make a big impact for the Tar Heels.

But in his short time there, his impact was little to none. He averaged 2.9 points per game in 22 games. He was the first to player to leave UNC’s program like such since 2014, when the university dismissed P.J. Hairston after he received impermissible benefits.

Not only was Felton suspended from the team, but he was also suspended from the school. It is unclear why Felton was suspended though.

At the time Felton retained Sutton, a Durham-based attorney, who, among other cases is known her role in the defense team in the Duke lacrosse case. According to her law firm’s website, she specializes in defenses against sexual misconduct allegations and Title IX violations.

However, Felton was never arrested or charged with a crime.

Sutton announced in a tweet on March 1 that Felton had withdrawn from the school and would pursue a “new dream.”

“When I spoke to him yesterday, he said his new goal is to play on a pro floor before his uncle retires,” Sutton said. “I hope he gets there.”

Sutton declined to speak about the situation at UNC, but said she expected it to be wrapped up soon.

Alexander, 919-829-4822; @jonmalexander
Related stories from Raleigh News & Observer

  Comments