Golf

US Open golf back to Pinehurst in 2024


With the Pinehurst clubhouse behind them, Martin Kaymer, right center, and his caddie Craig Connelly ponder a club selection on the second hole during the final round of the U.S. Open at Pinehurst No. 2 on Sunday, June 15, 2014.
With the Pinehurst clubhouse behind them, Martin Kaymer, right center, and his caddie Craig Connelly ponder a club selection on the second hole during the final round of the U.S. Open at Pinehurst No. 2 on Sunday, June 15, 2014. cseward@newsobserver.com

The U.S. Golf Association can’t stay away from Pinehurst. The U.S. Open will be back at Donald Ross’ famed No. 2 course in 2024.

An official announcement will come next week, Mayor Nancy Fiorillo said, but the Pinehurst Village Council voted on Tuesday to approve a licensing agreement with the USGA for the 2024 men’s championship.

“We are absolutely pleased to partner again with the USGA,” Fiorillo said.

Pinehurst has hosted the U.S. Open in 1999, 2005 and 2014. Both the men’s and women’s tournaments were at Pinehurst No. 2 last summer in an historic double dip.

The plan is to bring the men’s championship back to Pinehurst for the 2024 U.S. Open. With many USGA officials at the British Open this week at St. Andrews in Scotland, an announcement from the USGA and Pinehurst resort is expected July 22.

The licensing agreement approved Tuesday includes a payment of $350,000 by the USGA to the Pinehurst Village Council.

The late Payne Stewart won the first U.S. Open at Pinehurst in 1999 on a memorable putt on the 72nd hole. Michael Campbell won in the return to Pinehurst in 2005 and Martin Kaymer won last year’s tournament in a runaway.

Giglio: 919-829-8938

This story was originally published July 14, 2015 at 10:23 PM with the headline "US Open golf back to Pinehurst in 2024."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER